Is this laptop worth getting even with 1366x768 resolution?

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hey guys, I've been popping through this forum a lot to answer some questions on a laptop I'm very close to getting. You're super helpful to me! I just need one more question answered and I'm pretty much set.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv6tqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv6tqe_series&aoid=35252

This is the laptop I'm probably going to be getting, its a 15" but its resolution is sadly only is 1366x768. I know a smaller resolution puts less strain on the gpu, but isn't this resolution a little to small for this screen? I will be using this laptop just for gaming. I will be playing less graphically demanding games like WoW, to future games such as Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Portal 2, ect.

Hey smoother frame rates are a plus, but I'm not sure if the game would be too enlarged, as opposed to the smaller, more finer pixels 1080p has. Besides the gpu seems like it could handle future games on high settings at a higher resolution.

So, the reason why I'm asking all this, is because I'm pretty set on this laptop, but it only comes in the 1366x768 resolution. I'm not sure if the resolution is "not good enough" for gaming so if I can't get a higher resolution should I look at getting another laptop? Btw is there a noticeable difference in picture quality of 1366x768 vs 1920x1080 on gaming laptops?

Thanks guys!

Solution
Without a doubt, spend the extra $25 and get the 6770M instead of the 6490M as the performance difference is huge.

The 6770M is very close in performance to the Geforce 285M (which is in my laptop), and the 285M pretty much runs every game I play smoothly on high at 1366x768 with at least 2X anti-aliasing settings. Some of the games I play on it include Dawn of War II, Civilization V and Shogun 2. My native on my laptop is 1366X768 as well and it's very comfortable to work with since it's within a few dpi of my monitors for my desktop. The dv6tqe should have absolutely no problems running Battlefield 3 and Portal 2, and should run Skyrim quite well since it is going to be ported onto the consoles as well.

It looks like it's not a bad...
that resolution is fine for the size of the screen. The graphics card in that laptop will not run games very well at higher res than that. if the screen res were 1080p on that small screen you wouldnt be able to see anything as it would all be too small. you wouldnt be able to read how much health you have left in a game without a magnifying glass. If you want to play games, dont toy around with laptops, get a desktop.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

I know resolution is a big strain of the graphics..but I just wanted to make sure. This gpu along with cpu will play everything I throw at it smooth on high settings right?

bbruzzes_23

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Without a doubt, spend the extra $25 and get the 6770M instead of the 6490M as the performance difference is huge.

The 6770M is very close in performance to the Geforce 285M (which is in my laptop), and the 285M pretty much runs every game I play smoothly on high at 1366x768 with at least 2X anti-aliasing settings. Some of the games I play on it include Dawn of War II, Civilization V and Shogun 2. My native on my laptop is 1366X768 as well and it's very comfortable to work with since it's within a few dpi of my monitors for my desktop. The dv6tqe should have absolutely no problems running Battlefield 3 and Portal 2, and should run Skyrim quite well since it is going to be ported onto the consoles as well.

It looks like it's not a bad little laptop for just over a grand.

Solution