Best deal for top drawer video editing

GrievousAngel

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Hello all,

With 6-core CPU out now, what do you think the best deal (CPU & MOBO) on a system for video & audio recording and editing?

Where might the line of diminishing returns exist? Intel products? AMD?

For video & audio editing and such, is Intel worth the extra cost? I understand this is an age old question, but . . . I haev always used AMD, but I am not locked in.

BTW: In terms of MOBO, the number of PCIe slots are critical, so more is better. Which MOBO should I review?

With the above system requirement, do you think the latest SATA HDs are quick enough w/o going RAID? I personally have never built a RAID sub-system that I could notice was faster, but it is safer if done right.

I have an ASUS (M4A79) quad core AMD 3.2GHz system with 8Gb ram and a HighPoint HW RAID sub-system, and it has trouble keeping up with small video & audio projects! Should that be expected on that system?

What forum is best to post these type of questions, as it's not just CPU?

Thanks,
William

GrievousAngel

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I use Adobe Premier for video and Pro Tools 8 for audio on a W7 system. ~ 1-2 minutes of final video playback. I do more audio recording and editing but getting into more and more video these days.

William