Sign in with
Your question

Looking for some advice on RAM frequency

Last response: in Motherboards
June 22, 2012 5:06:24 PM

So I bought a bunch of new parts for my PC recently...

Intel i7 3770K 3.5ghz Ivybridge
2 x GTX 680 SLI
16GB DDR3 Xtreem RAM 2600mhz
G1 Sniper 3 Z77 motherboard
Win 7

Now, the BIOS is running the RAM by default at around 1300mhz.
I set one of the profiles on the mobo BIOS (profile 2) to run it 2400mhz.
I used that all day and it ran fine.
I then played Batman:AC a bit later for about an hour, after which the game hard locked. Couldn't alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del. Nothing.
just had to reset my PC.

My question is this. Being that the RAM frequency is the only thing I changed through the mobo. Is that what caused the lock up? I assumed so but I just would have thought it would be a BSOD if something was wrong with it.
Why the lock up? AFAIK the mobo alters the voltage and stuff for you.
Does anyone know if there is anything else I would need to change to get it to work right?
Or could it have just been the game? (haven't actually tried any other games as I changed it back to default)

Thanks in advance.

More about : advice ram frequency

a c 127 V Motherboard
June 22, 2012 5:42:07 PM

Even though the ram is rated at 2600MHz, getting it to actually run at that speed is another story. That's really the blistering edge of the Motherboard's tolerances.

First off. What's the ram voltage RATED at? Second, what is the voltage being supplied by the MB? My bet is that they don't match.
Related resources
June 22, 2012 6:13:25 PM

Ok so here is what I don't understand. The mobo advertises this...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

"4x DDR3 1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules"

My understanding (which is limited admittedly) is that you can run the RAM at these frequencies.
But the two profiles in the BIOS will set them at 2133 and 2400 (doesn't seem to be changable)

So is that then why it locks up? I would have thought running the RAM at a higher frequency than the highest advertised one would just mean it wuldn't work?
Or would it just make it unstable?

I'm afraid I can't see what voltage the mobo is running the RAM at as it's all done on auto. :( 
June 22, 2012 6:21:35 PM

My advice would be to not OC your RAM. Pretty much the only reason to do so these days (in regards to gaming) is if you rely on an APU for graphics, which shares the system memory. Otherwise you will only be getting a 1-2fps difference between running ram at 1333 and 2400MHz.

I know that's not really answering the original question, but there's my 2 cents.
a c 127 V Motherboard
June 22, 2012 6:30:32 PM

"you will only be getting a 1-2fps difference between running ram at 1333 and 2400MHz"

The difference is larger than that with such a large difference in RAM speeds. It's not like going from 1333 to 1600, this is substantial.
a c 127 V Motherboard
June 22, 2012 6:35:12 PM

"So is that then why it locks up? I would have thought running the RAM at a higher frequency than the highest advertised one would just mean it wuldn't work?
Or would it just make it unstable?

I'm afraid I can't see what voltage the mobo is running the RAM at as it's all done on auto."
When you run RAM with not enough power, which is what I think is happening here, it can present itself as instability (lockups), or just not working at all.

In your situation what I'd do is set the memory slots that are occupied to Manual, and input the voltages (1.65V) directly and see what happens.
June 22, 2012 6:35:54 PM

abekl said:
"you will only be getting a 1-2fps difference between running ram at 1333 and 2400MHz"

The difference is larger than that with such a large difference in RAM speeds. It's not like going from 1333 to 1600, this is substantial.

That's not true. The difference is only larger if the RAM is in fact bottlenecking your system somehow (which it almost always is not)
a c 127 V Motherboard
June 22, 2012 6:37:23 PM

Kamab said:
That's not true. The difference is only larger if the RAM is in fact bottlenecking your system somehow (which it almost always is not)

OK. That makes sense.
June 22, 2012 6:51:40 PM

Hmmm ok thanks guys. I will try and manually adjust the voltage.
To be honest I am not overly concerned to OC as I don't really think my system needs any extra help. I just wondered as I thought it might make quite a large difference.

I shall have a go anyway. Thanks again.
!