Sign in with
Your question

XFX nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB just stopped working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 21, 2011 1:57:07 PM

Hey!

So last night while my brother was playing COD 4, my XFX nVidia GeForce 9800 GT just stopped working properly. Apparently the whole screen filled with wierdly colored pixels and the PC rebooted itself and now I'm left with a non-working PC (I wasn't there at that moment). The PC can still boot and "function", but the resolution is horrible and alot of the pixels are purple/pink/green AND huge. The card itself is about 2 and a half years old (warranty was 2 years so I can't count on a new free card... ).

I did a thorough cleaning right after the problem occurred, it didn't change a thing (I did find alot of dust in the closed bits of the card, some of the card was covered by a big XFX metal plate thingy, I unscrewed that and cleaned it a bit as well)

I never really saw a decrease in performance so nothing indicated that the card would go wrong. Wasn't even playing CoD on max graphics, when it crashed. Any suggestions besides buying a new card or am I screwed? :/ 

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
MOBO: ASUS P5Q-P45
GPU: nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB XFX
RAM: 2 x 1GB A-DATA 800 MHz

I appreciate all replies!
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
April 21, 2011 5:14:26 PM

It could well be new card time I'm sorry to say, once cooked it's unlikely the card can be brought back to life. Other than replacing the T.I.M or even baking the card in an oven there is little you can do.
April 21, 2011 8:09:26 PM

Thanks alot for your reply! I changed the TIM (if that means thermal paste :D  ) and I noticed no change. Why should I bake the card in an oven? To correct some of the junction thingies? :|

Gonna buy a new card this weekend then, I suppose...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2011 8:20:19 PM

The 9800s tend to develop microfractures in the solder joints on the PCB board and cooking them in an oven remelts the solder and many times fixes the card. (google cooking video card in oven for more info and tutorials) and from the symptoms you listed it sounds like that might be the problem -- personally I'd just get a new video card since there are much better options that use less power and run better and cooler but if funds are tight it will not hurt to try it since the card is dead !
April 22, 2011 2:33:11 PM

I thought sticking the graphics card in the oven would be ridiculous, but umm... I did it, and you cannot imagine HOW HAPPY I AM! My precious (the computer) is up and running again! Thank you very very much! I will buy a new card but at least now I got more time to search for a new one that's better and/or cheaper than the ones that I would have bought now! Thank you very much again! :) 
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2011 3:16:20 PM

Glad to hear it worked for you -- and yea the idea is pretty hard to accept until you think about it or actually give it a try and have success !
April 22, 2011 4:02:17 PM

Umm yeah, thanks for all the help. Umm when I popped the graphics card back in and it all booted up perfectly, I left the PC running for a bit (just on the desktop) and when I came back I noticed that it had turned off and wouldn't turn on again.

Then I remembered that I forgot to pop the damn fan wire in, so I probably burned the GPU. I resurfaced the GPU with thermal paste and it still won't start up.

The MOBO light turns green, but all the fans will only do about one revolution, then stop. Also, if I unplug the PCI-E power wire, a red light on the graphics card turns on (makes sense), and then all the other fans work well. So pretty much I killed the card because I gave it new life. Well, that and I was so excited to see if it worked. I was too sloppy. I have no one besides myself to blame. :/ 
May 3, 2011 4:11:36 AM

marvJarv
thanks for you verifying this! i will try! (and will try not to forget the fan) best of luck to you.
May 3, 2011 4:50:42 PM

marvJarv said:
Umm yeah, thanks for all the help. Umm when I popped the graphics card back in and it all booted up perfectly, I left the PC running for a bit (just on the desktop) and when I came back I noticed that it had turned off and wouldn't turn on again.

Then I remembered that I forgot to pop the damn fan wire in, so I probably burned the GPU. I resurfaced the GPU with thermal paste and it still won't start up.

The MOBO light turns green, but all the fans will only do about one revolution, then stop. Also, if I unplug the PCI-E power wire, a red light on the graphics card turns on (makes sense), and then all the other fans work well. So pretty much I killed the card because I gave it new life. Well, that and I was so excited to see if it worked. I was too sloppy. I have no one besides myself to blame. :/ 

This might be the saddest post I've read in a while... but now you have a reason to upgrade!
!