Sign in with
Your question

Building a gaming rig, need advice on CPU and GPU pick. i5/i7

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2011 2:41:31 PM

Hey I am going to build my first real gaming rig, however even after lots of research I am still in doubt about what I should pick, so i decided to ask you guys.

I will mainly use my PC for harcore gaming and maybe some recording too (only a little). So which CPU should I get? First I was thinking about the i7 2600k, a bit of research showed me the the HT was somewhat gimmicky and for gaming an i5 2500k should be just as good. How true is this, which one would you recommend?

For GPU I was thinking a 6970, but then I lean slightly more towards the gtx 570 so I will have the 3d option. Or should I go with the gtx 580? From the benchamrks I have seen the 570 and 5970 are leaning up very close to each other.

For motherboard should I go with the Asus P series or the new Z series?

Thanks for now. :) 
Related resources
July 4, 2011 4:59:32 PM

between the 570 and the 6970 look up some benchmarks for the games you play to see which card you will benefit from the most- the 570 will be quieter cheaper & less power hungry. i5 all the way, there really isnt much use for hyperthreading in games. you dont need a z68 for gaming but here is a very good gigabyte z68- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 4, 2011 6:01:48 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
between the 570 and the 6970 look up some benchmarks for the games you play to see which card you will benefit from the most- the 570 will be quieter cheaper & less power hungry. i5 all the way, there really isnt much use for hyperthreading in games. you dont need a z68 for gaming but here is a very good gigabyte z68- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is it even possible to both install windows on an SSD and use it as a cache at the same time?
m
l
July 5, 2011 2:40:52 PM

no. caching does not speed up boot times.
m
l
!