Sign in with
Your question

GTS 450 PCI-Express x16

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 21, 2011 3:08:08 PM

I am planning to but a GTS 450 OC edition from Gigabyte but i am not sure if my motherboard support it.

My motherboard only supports PCI-Express x16. so it's not PCI-Express 2.0 .
so will there be any performance decresses on a PCI-Express x16 slot? since the videocard is PCI-Express 2.0 . Also if there will be performance decresses, will it be verry noticeable?

PS. since my 8500GT died, im going to use this videocard mostly for Counter-Strike 1.6 and since i buy it i want to try new games like Left4Dead 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Counter-Strike source, Team Fortress 2 etc..
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2011 3:19:45 PM

GTS450 will work since PCI-E have backward compatibility to older version of PCI-E. about the performance don't worry about it. the card not even going to use all available bandwidth available on PCI-E 1.1 let alone PCI-E 2.0. it's a different story if you want to get into multi gpu setup though. just make sure your power supply is good enough to power up the card properly since the card will take a lot more juice than your previous 8500GT :) 
April 21, 2011 3:27:21 PM

thanks alot for the reply. then i will defenetly buy it. my power supply is good enough and ill get a new computer by the time Counter-Strike 2 will be released. thanks again.
April 21, 2011 3:35:44 PM

If you plan on upgrading soon to a board that supports the full capabilities of a newer card, you should definitely check out benchmarks (see link). Unless you're just a die-hard nvidia user you could spend just a little more and get something that would work better in your new computer.

Just check out http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-...
!