Battlefield 3 beta choppy

vegawow

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Trying to play the Battlefield 3 beta, it is super choppy and completely unplayable. The performance monitor on my G15 show my CPU maxed at 100%. This is the first game I have seen this happen on. I am meeting minimum system requirements for the game. I have all the video settings in the game on LOW.

My specs:
Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor 5200+ (2.7GHz)
NVidia GeForce 9500GT
500W pwr supply

Which component do you think is holding me back?

Thank you!

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Have you tried the nVidia preview drivers that have been tweaked for BF3? How much RAM do you have?

And not to be an arse but to answer your question; pretty much all of it is holding you back. You would benefit greatly from a quad core CPU and a stronger GPU. Also keep in mind that this is still a BETA, end results may be better.

vegawow

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
4gb of RAM. I did install the nVidia driver for BF3, didn't help much. Yeah it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade for this game, which sucks. I guess being right at the minimum requirement isn't going to hack it to play.

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Meeting the minimum requirements might cut it for a decent single player experience, but multiplayer is a whole different story. For not to much money you could pick up a Phenom 2 x4 and a new GPU and get a pretty good increase in performance.

vegawow

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
My motherboard has a PCI Express x16 gpu slot. Can I put a PCI Express 2.0 x16 card in it? Newegg only lists one gpu that is PCI Express x16, which really limits my choices! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah man you're good. Any of the newer GPU's are going to be PCI-E16x, Newegg only showing one may just be a search function error. You may however be limited by your 500W power supply depending on brand/quality. I'd look into a Phenom 2 x4 as well. Your current CPU will be a bottleneck for a newer video card.

What sort of fps are you getting, i'm on a Q9550 with GTX470 and getting mid 30's to mid 40's @ 2048x1152 depending on map, i'm starting to wonder if I could use an upgrade (actually I just want an excuse to upgrade)

Actually you might be fine, try the demo.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

You are likely going to have to upgrade your hardware to play the game on reasonable performance and quality levels. Your CPU and GPU are both lacking.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

You barely meet the minimum processor requirements, which would definitely hold you back on multiplayer gameplay.

The 9500GT doesn't meet the minimum system requirements. An 8800GT is for minimum and that is better than a 9500GT by a long shot.

8800 GT:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_8800_gt_us.html

9500GT:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9500gt_us.html

If you can only upgrade one, try going for the graphics card first as it will be a cheaper option, since you only have to replace the card. Also try an overclock on the processor if you can. The more speed, the better!.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Consider this.

I use 16 gig of memory at 2133. My G15 LCD reported 34-42% used during Multiplayer in BF3

My GPU's (MSI Lightning Extreme edition 580's) used 1240 mb max memory per card. That is nearly 3 gig and half the capacity.

GPU Temps maxed out at 55 C

My CPU would occasionally hover at 40% and spike once in a while and maxed at 62 C (i7 2600K)

I was upping my G500 mouse DPI to the third LED in order to harness the game world to turn side to side faster as infantry.

Most of the evening went well, learned to disable certain programs that interrupt and rise above the task bar.

My old build has a E8600 Quadcore socket 775 and 8 gig of memory at 1333 along with sata II intel SSD and several others. And two sapphire crossfire GPU's It would heat up and chop my game.

I regulated the old computer to regular net while I use the new build for BF3 that is coming out.

In short time to build your own. As far as settings are concerned, I did use performance in the Nvidia Beta drivers setting. I could play at quality but the tac lights and other... issues cause for concern.

Lesson one. See a enemy tac light, shoot on it.

Lesson two. See a enemy laser, displace and establish ambush.

Good luck!

vegawow

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Very informative answer, thank you! When you say that you only have to replace the card, what do you mean? I've done several video cards, never a cpu, but from what I can tell it is pretty much plug and play like a video card, besides maybe having to mess with thermal paste and BIOS. Is there something more complicated to it then that? Thanks again.

vegawow

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Very informative answer, thank you! When you say that you only have to replace the card, what do you mean? I've done several video cards, never a cpu, but from what I can tell it is pretty much plug and play like a video card, besides maybe having to mess with thermal paste and BIOS. Is there something more complicated to it then that? Thanks again.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Well, I wouldn't update your cpu for that socket anymore, so most likely you would have to replace the mobo, ram, and cpu to be able to upgrade your processor.

Since that mobo has Pci-e 1.0, any graphics card with the Pci-e specification can go into the x16 slot, because they are backwards compatible. The slot won't even hold the card back, because x8 2.0(basically the same bandwidth as x16 1.0) doesn't hold back video cards at all yet.

That power supply might not be able to handle the high end cards if it is a cheap one though!

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Dang, I hate that these companies use their processor names over so many sockets. I thought the Athlon 64's were on older 939 sockets, but that one appears to be an AM2.

It seems you will be able to upgrade to a newer Phenom II quad then.

I still think he should try the graphics card first as that seems to be what is really holding him back.

The PSU could be an issue if it is a cheap or low wattage model.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Well that system is quite underpowered for a game like BF3... that being said the nVIDIA drivers will have your CPU running at 100% causing some lag if you have a Dual Core CPU (and not a Quad core or higher).

The AMD BETA drivers don't have any issues... yeah... the opposite of what most would claim is the truth lol.