Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is a Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics Card good for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2011 2:53:17 PM

Is the intragrated solution in a computer or Laptop? either way it will not be sufficant for any high end gaming at high resolutions.
Score
a c 365 U Graphics card
June 30, 2011 3:20:19 PM

Yeah, the HD 4200 will not be able to play modern games. Integrated graphics are generally weak. Currently the most powerful integrate video solution is the Intel HD 3000 graphics core that is the Core i5-2500k and i7-2600k desktop CPUs. It is also in the Core i3-2310m CPU for laptops; there are other Intel mobile CPUs that have the Intel HD 3000 graphics core, but I don't really follow the laptop scene. It is basically a little better than the desktop version of the Radeon HD 5450. That's not even considered a gaming card.

If you currently have a laptop, then you will be limited to older games like from 2005/2006 at best. If you have a desktop, then you should have the ability to add a video card. However, you need to provide some information about your PC before anyone can help you out.
Score
Related resources
July 1, 2011 12:09:28 PM

Well, I currently have a laptop, but fairly old, and can't handle common games. (1.6 GHz) Though the model I would like to purchase is a desktop. I'm trying to get the best computer I can get within a $300-$400 price range. It may seem a bit cheap, but i'm limited because this is birthday money.

Now, I'm not going to be doing hardcore gaming on it. Maybe just Garry's Mod, or Counterstike Source. Also recording and editing videos is what I'm mainly going to be doing.

Here are the specs of the Desktop:
AMD Athlon™ II X2 Processor 245 (2.9GHz, 1M, 2C)
4GB DDR3 SDRAM - 4 DIMMs
Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Let me know if you need some more info.

Currently the price of the desktop is $349.99

And does anyone know if this card is HDMI compatible?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2011 4:13:38 PM

Move this to the build section please :) 
Score
July 1, 2011 4:21:34 PM

Quote:
Move this to the build section please :) 

He isn't even building a computer. He is BUYING one.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 9:45:14 AM

Quote:

ok, so If he is "BUYING" a computer ( well done for using capitals by the way ) wow does that come under the section " Graphic & Displays > Graphics Cards ". Thank's very much for your input though, it was most usefull.
Score
July 4, 2011 2:52:16 PM

Quote:
And does anyone know if this card is HDMI compatible?

Depends on the board really, my integrated HD 4xxx has HDMI, but I'm not sure they all do.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 4:38:56 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 4:41:24 PM

szbxa said:

So that would be the 'Prebuilt' section of the 'build section' then wouldn't it? ;) 
Score
July 5, 2011 11:52:14 PM

It probably can run counter strike source at a decent framerate. Does types of games, it'll be able to run fine. But it also depends on your resolution. Do you know what monitor resolution you will be playing?
Score
July 6, 2011 4:08:01 PM

Integrated 4200 is about as good as a 9800 series from ATI and i offloaded THAT card a long, long time ago.

it'll do some old games fine but anything 3d past 2002ish it will struggle with. should work ok for video/DVD's though.
Score
May 21, 2012 4:59:06 PM

sure is thread resurrection around here. should have just let it die.
Score
August 20, 2012 11:38:08 PM

jaguarskx said:
Yeah, the HD 4200 will not be able to play modern games. Integrated graphics are generally weak. Currently the most powerful integrate video solution is the Intel HD 3000 graphics core that is the Core i5-2500k and i7-2600k desktop CPUs. It is also in the Core i3-2310m CPU for laptops; there are other Intel mobile CPUs that have the Intel HD 3000 graphics core, but I don't really follow the laptop scene. It is basically a little better than the desktop version of the Radeon HD 5450. That's not even considered a gaming card.

If you currently have a laptop, then you will be limited to older games like from 2005/2006 at best. If you have a desktop, then you should have the ability to add a video card. However, you need to provide some information about your PC before anyone can help you out.

I know this post is a year old but I have to say, jaguarskx has NO IDEA what he's talking about.

I have an integrated 4200 HD chip and this chip plays ALL modern made for PC games very well. Most games I don't play on all high settings settings but many games can do high settings too. I mostly use medium or a combination of high medium and low settings. It all depends on what you are running in the background and how much dedicated plus shared ram your laptop has. It also depends on which settings you choose to max out and which you choose to set lower. I can max out textures and set shadows to low or medium with no performance drop or noticeable loss of video graphics quality or loss of frame rate. Some games use HDR and Bloom better than others so depending on the game you may have to turn these off - but not always. My ATI 4200HD has 336 MB of dedicated ram, plus uses up to 1.2 gig's of shared system ram for additional video memory - for a total of 1.5 gigabytes of video memory. I only have a single core 2.1 ghz Sempron processor in my laptop and it has 4 gigs of ram, so taking away 1.2 gigs for shared memory out of my 4 gigs. doesn't hurt the system. You name it, I can play it.. nicely, smoothly, with optimal frame rate. Crysis 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Borderlands, Rage, this list goes on, I play them all very well. As long as the game is made for and optimized for PC this chip is great - some console clones are not optimized for PC and therefore will not play as well. I play all my games at a high resolution - 1336x768

My laptop cost me 350 from Wal-mart and had 2 gigs of system ram. I added another 2 gigs of ram for 50 bucks. For the price and performance, the laptop The OP was looking at would have served him very well.

This graphics chip is still being sold. I hate it when people like jaguarskx talk out ignorant crap and not from a position of experience. jaguarskx obviously does not have this integrated chip. best advise you can get is not listen to anyone who doesn't know the truth from first hand experience - hence - ask someone who actually has this chip, not some guy on a forum who doesn't know from beans.

Also keep in mind.. ATI had a 4200 years ago that was not the same as the 4200 HD series. The HD series is much newer and is way more powerful than the old 4200. Some of you may be getting the two confused.. looks like it from some of the other posts.
Score
September 1, 2012 3:53:35 PM

It looks like you know what are you talkin about. If you can help me with some settings I will really be grateful. I have a HP Pavillion Desktop M# p7-1003w. It has the ATI Radeon HD4200. I want to set up my pc for playing BF3. Im a noob to playing games in PC, I have always played in consoles like playstation. For what I think, my pc is kinda ok for it. I just need to get, maybe, a hdmi output. I dont have one in this pc, came without it. Just in case email me at herman_rivera@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance to anyone who give me some opinions.
Score
September 5, 2012 12:48:13 PM

If this is your laptop and you have the 3.2 ghz Athlon with 8 gigs of Ram http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

Then you should be able to play BF3 providing you have enough shared memory. You need a tool like GPUZ or SIW to tell you how much shared (video) memory you have. My box said I have dedicated 128 But all the tools i used to check it with says it has 336 megabytes and the box/specs do say it can use up to 1.2 gigs of system ram for video ram - I don't see where your specs tell you how much you have, but if it's at least 1.2 gigs of shared, it should work. I do sometimes tweak my MsConfig.exe start up items and disable some processes to be sure I run a lean system for gaming. If your not comfortable with disabling services I suggest you use an app like Game Booster from IOBIT to help eek a little more performance for gaming. with 8 gigs of ram, however, you may not need to do this. In game settings, I'd try them all.. from low to high and with HDR or Bloom enabled and try with them disabled.. you should find a combo that works for you. Hope this helps.
Score
October 8, 2012 4:48:55 PM

John Phoenix said:
If this is your laptop and you have the 3.2 ghz Athlon with 8 gigs of Ram http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

Then you should be able to play BF3 providing you have enough shared memory. You need a tool like GPUZ or SIW to tell you how much shared (video) memory you have. My box said I have dedicated 128 But all the tools i used to check it with says it has 336 megabytes and the box/specs do say it can use up to 1.2 gigs of system ram for video ram - I don't see where your specs tell you how much you have, but if it's at least 1.2 gigs of shared, it should work. I do sometimes tweak my MsConfig.exe start up items and disable some processes to be sure I run a lean system for gaming. If your not comfortable with disabling services I suggest you use an app like Game Booster from IOBIT to help eek a little more performance for gaming. with 8 gigs of ram, however, you may not need to do this. In game settings, I'd try them all.. from low to high and with HDR or Bloom enabled and try with them disabled.. you should find a combo that works for you. Hope this helps.

I fully concur with you John. I have the 4200 HD ATI Radeon onboard grahics and it's brilliant. Of course not as good as some higher up cards, but more than adequate at playing most modern games at a good frame rate. Even the very latest games go at a reasonable frame rate but some you do have to lower the effects a bit more than I'd like but they are completely playable. I think some folks are definitely getting confused with earlier grahics as the 4200 onboard HD is a great thing to have on your board.
Score
January 8, 2013 5:56:06 AM

I also agree with John. I have an HP desktop with the integrated HD 4200 graphics. I play BF3 semi-regularly and it performs decently. with settings at medium or low the game is completely playable in the single player mode and while i am able to play multi-player, there is occasional lag that does negatively affect game play. does not make it unplayable necessarily, just frustrating when I get killed due to lag. Cant really comment on other games as BF3 is really the only game I have or play at present. Anyway, just wanted to put in my two cents.
Score
February 9, 2013 3:24:32 AM

John Phoenix said:
I know this post is a year old but I have to say, jaguarskx has NO IDEA what he's talking about.

I have an integrated 4200 HD chip and this chip plays ALL modern made for PC games very well. Most games I don't play on all high settings settings but many games can do high settings too. I mostly use medium or a combination of high medium and low settings. It all depends on what you are running in the background and how much dedicated plus shared ram your laptop has. It also depends on which settings you choose to max out and which you choose to set lower. I can max out textures and set shadows to low or medium with no performance drop or noticeable loss of video graphics quality or loss of frame rate. Some games use HDR and Bloom better than others so depending on the game you may have to turn these off - but not always. My ATI 4200HD has 336 MB of dedicated ram, plus uses up to 1.2 gig's of shared system ram for additional video memory - for a total of 1.5 gigabytes of video memory. I only have a single core 2.1 ghz Sempron processor in my laptop and it has 4 gigs of ram, so taking away 1.2 gigs for shared memory out of my 4 gigs. doesn't hurt the system. You name it, I can play it.. nicely, smoothly, with optimal frame rate. Crysis 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Borderlands, Rage, this list goes on, I play them all very well. As long as the game is made for and optimized for PC this chip is great - some console clones are not optimized for PC and therefore will not play as well. I play all my games at a high resolution - 1336x768

My laptop cost me 350 from Wal-mart and had 2 gigs of system ram. I added another 2 gigs of ram for 50 bucks. For the price and performance, the laptop The OP was looking at would have served him very well.

This graphics chip is still being sold. I hate it when people like jaguarskx talk out ignorant crap and not from a position of experience. jaguarskx obviously does not have this integrated chip. best advise you can get is not listen to anyone who doesn't know the truth from first hand experience - hence - ask someone who actually has this chip, not some guy on a forum who doesn't know from beans.

Also keep in mind.. ATI had a 4200 years ago that was not the same as the 4200 HD series. The HD series is much newer and is way more powerful than the old 4200. Some of you may be getting the two confused.. looks like it from some of the other posts.

thanks i got my HD4200 too. AND THANKS TO YOU..you came out..since i seen the reply of jaguarskx i suddenly down for my laptop that has a HD4200 graphic card, anyway... i am playing Left 4 dead 1 and 2 graphics run good..ocassionaly hang but 90percent good quality of the graphics but im playing ModernWarefare 3 now..can you help me how to set the graphics because i run it almost 2 days and im in 32% of the game process still hangs ocassionaly..can you help me how to set those RAMs memmory put it to the video/graphic card just like you said..i hope for youre reply.

sorry for my bad english and grammars... hehehehe
Score
June 11, 2013 9:49:42 AM

I agree with John Phoenix I have a 4200 also, and it defies what many of you people say! I may not know my specs but can play a lot of games on all maxed out settings! It all depends on the model of PC/Laptop the card is in.
Score
!