First timer, $1000 gaming build

SusanZ

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I'm currently running a PC my dad helped me put together (read: my dad put it together while I watched) about 5 years ago. I'm a WoWer and desperately need to upgrade, but I don't know very much about this stuff.

■Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks
■Budget Range: About USD $1000
■System Usage from Most to Least Important: World of Warcraft, web browsing/Netflix streaming
■Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, etc., wireless NIC
■Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com
■Country of Origin: USA
■Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia, ASUS
■Overclocking: Yes
■SLI or Crossfire: Eventually
■Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 for now, higher when I get a new monitor
■Additional Comments: Maximum WoW for minimum $

I've read reviews and forum posts and have come up with the following build based on my budget, which is around $1k:

■CPU: Intel i5 2500K (USD 215)
■MoBo: ASUS P8P67 PRO (USD 175)
■PSU: Corsair TX650 (USD 90)
■Fan: Zalman CNPS10X Performa (USD 50)
■GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (USD 138, already purchased)
■HD: Seagate Barracuda XT 2T SATA 6.0/64MB/7200 RPM (USD 130)
■Memory: Kingston KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8GX (2x4G 1600 MHz 9-9-9-27) (USD 40, already purchased)
■Optical: Memorex MRX-700L Blu-ray reader/DVD-R combo (USD 50, already purchased) - I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web, even by looking up the UPC code
■Case: Silverstone Raven RV03-W (USD 140)

The prices I've listed are what I can get them for from a local retailer. I've already purchased some items because of limited time offers, but can return them if necessary.

I chose Intel and Nvidia because they're more "compatible" with WoW and seem to give slightly better performance than comparable AMD and Radeon products, based on the WoW Cataclysm Performance Guide review article on this website. I will be OCing the CPU, once I learn how to. I will likely take advantage of the SLI capability of the MoBo in the future, so I'm getting the PRO. The GPU isn't top of the line, but it has good performance (again based on the above referenced article) ... Plus I got an awesome deal on it. The Memorex optical drive was purely because of a good sale, I had no specific preference for that.

Please let me know if there are any obvious problems or omissions with the above build. I was concerned that the memory might not fit with the fan I chose, but I plan on using only 2 slots for now, and since the mobo has 4 I can just have it further from the CPU so hopefully it will be fine (please let me know if not). I want to be able to use DirectX 11. I'd like a machine that I can use for the next few years with minor upgrades, like adding a 2nd GPU or more memory.

Keep in mind that the limit of my knowledge up until I started reading on Friday was that I could identify all of the above items and hook most of them up correctly, but that's it, so feel free to dumb things down for me. :)

Solution
PSU: The 650W would be enough but each card requires 2 pci 6 pin connectors which mean you would need 4 in all to go SLI or another option would be to go with a 1 better GPU instead.

Hyper 212: Yes the Zalman is a good cooler and you cant go wrong with either one, but from what i have seen the Hyper 212 is the best bang for your buck, as would other options. But the Hyper gives better performance, for me anyway and alot of other people.

The Case: Really based on personally what you want, the Raven is a great case if you buy the fans, all three provide great airflow and alot of room to work, so really it depends on you. I am just going by alot of good reviews and the owning of the Antec .900 v3

The HDD: I overlooked what you are doing...

Exarr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
The Asus is a great Mobo but you can save a little money with an even better Mobo that has easer Overclocking ability and just as good features. It's the ASRock p67 4 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229&Tpk=asrock%20p67%20extreme4

The 2500k is def. the way to go, it can be Overclocked with ease with the ASRock and stay cool at the same time.

The PSU that you mentioned itwillnot be able to support SLI but the Silverstone strider is a very nice one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256072&cm_re=silverstone_strider-_-17-256-072-_-Product

The CPU cooler i would go with the Coolermaster Hyper 212:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309821099&sr=8-1

And the case is ok,it's built well but i just have a thing for really good cases with goodairflow so i recommend the HAF 922 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197&Tpk=coolmaster%20haf%20922 or the Antec900 V3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097&Tpk=antec%20900%20v3

And the HDD is good but there is one just as fast but only 1T and it's popular around here(forums) it is the Samsung F3 Spindpoint - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=samsung%20f3

Other than that the GPU should be great, nothing wrong with the 460 when on a budget, the 560Ti would be better but it's a little bit more than what you are paying on the 460.

SusanZ

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Thank you very much! A few questions ...

The PSU that you mentioned it will not be able to support SLI
Is this because using SLI with 2 460s would require more than 650W? I read elsewhere on the forums that 650W would be enough ... Or is there some other factor?

The CPU cooler i would go with the Coolermaster Hyper 212
Is that just due to price, or is there a performance difference? I read good things about the Zalman, and taking shipping charges into consideration, the price difference between it and the Coolermaster is negligible.

And the case is ok,it's built well but i just have a thing for really good cases with good airflow so i recommend the HAF 922 or the Antec900 V3
I was planning on adding the 3 extra 120mm fans to the RV03, would your recommendations still offer better airflow? I should mention that I own pets and don't have carpet, so my tower tends to get hair all over the place inside it.

And the HDD is good but there is one just as fast but only 1T and it's popular around here(forums) it is the Samsung F3 Spindpoint
I'm building this machine specifically for WoW, and I assumed the SATA 6.0 and 64 MB cache would be useful since much of the game info is stored on the HDD, and I like to play music and, sometimes, watch movies stored on the HDD while I play (or I would if my current machine could support it). The HDD on my current machine is SATA 1.5, 7200 RPM, 8 MC cache and sometimes it simply can't keep up with the demand for data. Is the difference in performance between SATA 6.0 and 3.0, and the extra 32 MB cache not enough to make a difference when all's said and done?

Thanks in advance!

Exarr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
PSU: The 650W would be enough but each card requires 2 pci 6 pin connectors which mean you would need 4 in all to go SLI or another option would be to go with a 1 better GPU instead.

Hyper 212: Yes the Zalman is a good cooler and you cant go wrong with either one, but from what i have seen the Hyper 212 is the best bang for your buck, as would other options. But the Hyper gives better performance, for me anyway and alot of other people.

The Case: Really based on personally what you want, the Raven is a great case if you buy the fans, all three provide great airflow and alot of room to work, so really it depends on you. I am just going by alot of good reviews and the owning of the Antec .900 v3

The HDD: I overlooked what you are doing with the system so i would keep the Seagate.

Solution