Sign in with
Your question

Noise in video - MB?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2012 2:14:19 AM

Hi all :) 

I have an ASUS P6T that is about 3 years old. I have an EGA AGP video card, tho I am not sure of the chipset. I use two monitors, VGA and DVI. The computer is used 12-14 hours per day, 7 days a week.

I have some noise in the VGA monitor. Hard to explain, it's diagonal, and it seems to move a bit. I swapped the monitors, still there in monitor #2. Swapped the VGA cable, still there. Swapped the AGP slot (there are two), still there. Took out another vid card from another computer, and put it into the P6T, still there. Took the VGA vid card, and put it into the other computer, noise not there. So, at this point, I seemingly have eliminated the monitor, cable, vid card. That seems to leave the MB as the culprit.

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas...if there is anything else I can check, or have I covered all my bases? I guess the two things that I find wierd is that both slots exhibit the same problem...if the problem was with the MB, would the problem really show up in both slots? And the other thing is that there is no noise in the DVI signal - only VGA.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

More about : noise video

a c 137 V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
June 23, 2012 2:56:13 AM

Well, that board doesn't even have any AGP slots (much less two, and I don't think there were ever any dual AGP slot mobo's made). I think you mean PCIe there.

Anyway, my best guess it that yes, the mobo is the problem, although my first guess would have been the card. Those symptoms are usually a surefire way to tell that a card is dying.

To be honest, I wouldn't really rule the card out completely, just yet, it just makes more sense at this point that it's the mobo.

To really be sure, you need to try and find another PCIe GPU to try on that mobo.
m
l
June 23, 2012 3:19:21 AM

Yes, you are right. I meant PCIe - not AGP. Got confused for a sec :pt1cable: 

"To really be sure, you need to try and find another PCIe GPU to try on that mobo"

Even tho I already tried two?

Thanks for the time.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
June 23, 2012 3:37:53 AM

nygtrjh1000 said:
Even tho I already tried two?

Wow, I actually misread that the first time... I didn't catch that you took another card from the other system. Just skipped right over it, for some reason, lol. I just read the part about trying the old card in the other system.

Anyway, I suppose that seals it as the mobo being the problem, although I'll admit that the "noise" not showing up with DVI is confusing. DVI is digital and VGA is analogue, so that makes a little sense, but that should be confined to the GPU, and not affected by the mobo.

Any other time, I would SWEAR that it's the GPU, but I guess not, here.
m
l
Related resources
!