Sign in with
Your question

Best immediate upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2011 7:31:16 PM

Hello, after lots of searching I haven't found a solid answer as to whether I should upgrade my CPU/mobo/ram or GPU first.

I am currently running:
e-4500 @2.5 (stock cooling) 9600gt, 4gb ram, corsair vx550w
1650x1050

I play a lot of Starcraft 2 and would like to be able to play BF3 (the beta runs horribly) and Skyrim as well.

I'm wondering if I should try to grab the $150 i5-2500k + $40 off mobo deal at microcenter today or spend that on a new GPU. My budget is around $300 so I can definitely get the cpu/mobo/ram today but a new card would have to wait.

Thanks for your help!

More about : upgrade

a c 184 à CPUs
September 30, 2011 7:43:11 PM

Zekk said:
Hello, after lots of searching I haven't found a solid answer as to whether I should upgrade my CPU/mobo/ram or GPU first.

I am currently running:
e-4500 @2.5 (stock cooling) 9600gt, 4gb ram, corsair vx550w
1650x1050

I play a lot of Starcraft 2 and would like to be able to play BF3 (the beta runs horribly) and Skyrim as well.

I'm wondering if I should try to grab the $150 i5-2500k + $40 off mobo deal at microcenter today or spend that on a new GPU. My budget is around $300 so I can definitely get the cpu/mobo/ram today but a new card would have to wait.

Thanks for your help!

Get the 2500k and try to buy a gpu while you are at it. The 9600gt isn't good enough for bf3 unfortunately so you might want to look for a 460 or 550ti that is on sale at microcenter.
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2011 8:53:51 PM

I would buy a video card first, it would give you the largest boost in your system. You should be able to upgrade the CPU by a good amount using the same motherboard and RAM. A 3 gig or so dual-core or a quad core would give you a nice boost without having to buy all new stuff. For $300 you can get both a good mid-mid high range card and a faster CPU.
a c 79 à CPUs
September 30, 2011 10:06:52 PM

hang-the-9 said:
I would buy a video card first, it would give you the largest boost in your system. You should be able to upgrade the CPU by a good amount using the same motherboard and RAM. A 3 gig or so dual-core or a quad core would give you a nice boost without having to buy all new stuff. For $300 you can get both a good mid-mid high range card and a faster CPU.

Thats not right at all, upgrade the CPU , its bottlenecking your current GPU. I used to have an 8800gts, which is about the same perfromance as your 9600gt, and i got a very noticeable performance increase going from stock 2.4ghz to overclock 3.2ghz which confirms a cpu bottleneck. Upgrading vid card you will see little to no performance increase depending on game. Starcraft is VERY cpu dependant so a vid card upgrade will make no difference there. But yes you will want to update the gfx card for BF3, but it will be playable on low detail settings.
!