Sign in with
Your question

Newbie trying to make his first computer and I have some questions.

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2011 8:13:41 PM

My last computer the Dell XPS 400 died and I can't revive it. So I'm making a new computer from scratch. This will be my first time doing so and I would be very happy to have any tips and help in this endeavor. I don't know if this is the right Sub-category to place this topic so I'm sorry in advance if it isn't. First after I did some research in making a great computer here are what I'm considering for each part and some prices I have found for each:

Processor: Intel i7 2600K Sandy Beach SuperBiiz.com: $309.99
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Superbiiz: $249.99 (July 4th Newegg sale $244.99)
Case: NZXT Phantom NewEgg: $139.99
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Newegg: $84.99 or CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B $99.99
Video Card: ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50402-10L GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Newegg: $134.99
Audio card: My old Audigy soundblaster card I got back in the past for the XPS 400 Computer
Hard Drive: I have a 2TB HD from XPS 400 Computer
SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 directron.com: $109.99 (planning to run the OS that people recommended when reading posts)
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100 from Corsair's website: $119.99 (Hydro Series H100 requires a case with dual 120mm fan mounts with 15mm spacing for a 240mm radiator so does anybody know if it will fit in the NZXT Phantom?)
Keyboard: From XPS 400 Computer or buy something from Logiteck that's sync with my current mouse.
Mouse: From XPS 400 Computer a Logiteck Mouse (I think 310)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms 850TX v2 Newegg: $134.99 (I was going first for the 750 but decided to go to the 850 for some future proofing)
SD Reader: From XPS 400 Computer (Upgrade later)
Speakers: From XPS 400 Computer
Monitor: From XPS 400 Computer
Software: Windows 7 Professional (Newegg July 4th sale price), Office (later)
and some Thermal Compound also

What I'm planning for the computer to to do work on it and some video editing (home movies and trips I might go on) and picture editing (photoshop maybe). I'm not a gamer on the computer but that might change for the near future.

Thank you in advance for all the help and advice!

Later once I done getting all the parts I will be asking for advice on the setup, raid, and overclocking that I read alot online but somewhat confused as I never "overclocked" any computer before and any other form of computer performance enhancements.

More about : newbie make computer questions

July 4, 2011 8:28:23 PM

Unbalanced CPU/GPU setup: you took the most powerful CPU available (i7-2600k) and a low-mid-end GPU (GTX 550 Ti). What's your budget? I would get a better graphics card, if I were you.
m
l
July 4, 2011 8:49:11 PM

Well while I don't plan on using the computer for gaming currently I wouldn't mind keeping a powerful CPU and updating the video card later (as time goes by I figure they will continue to make video cards more powerful and if I want to buy a much more powerful card if I made my computer a gaming computer but for the Z68 motherboard I need a certain CPUs and I figure that a great CPU for the motherboard and perhaps later the video card).
Right now I'm trying between 800-1200 (so 1000 average) in budget as I'm hoping (with the exception of certain parts that with time might be upgraded) that I will have a long lasting computer and whatever future possibilities become available in the future I will have somewhat a way to keep the computer from being outdated (which I know all computer with time become so).
What GPU cards do you recommend? Should I instead get a CPU like the i5 2500k to keep things balanced with the present? Thank you for posting.
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2011 8:51:25 PM

Well good CPU ( its sandy bridge not sandy beach :D 
As said before your GPU is a bit weak, but not to worry, go for a 560ti or 570 from nvidia

Hope this helps :) 
m
l
July 4, 2011 8:55:18 PM

With such a budget its a bit of a tight fit. If you were gonna do gaming I'd say get a i5 2500 but if you do video editing hyperthreading of an i7 is usefull.

Hope this helps :) 
m
l
July 4, 2011 9:04:09 PM

Still the i5 has plenty of power, and it will save you some$$$$
m
l
July 4, 2011 9:15:59 PM

If you are not gaming then I don't think you need the GPU at all and the 550Ti is not good value anyway. I suggest you either ditch the graphics card all together and use the built in intel 3000 which is fine for your useage without gaming and if you want to game later get a decent card then.
m
l
July 4, 2011 9:30:45 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
July 4, 2011 10:01:21 PM

simon12 said:
If you are not gaming then I don't think you need the GPU at all and the 550Ti is not good value anyway. I suggest you either ditch the graphics card all together and use the built in intel 3000 which is fine for your useage without gaming and if you want to game later get a decent card then.

That sound like a good idea but he only problem is that the motherboard doesn't have any video output so I will need a video card to attach my monitor. Is there a good cheap card that uses the built in Intel and if so any recommendations? If not should I get another motherboard and any recommendations for that? Finally should I just use the old video card that my Del XPS 400 was shipped with until I find the need to get a better video card worthy of the i7 2600k or should I down grade and go for the 2500K (once again figuring that if I do want to future update to a super strong video card the 2600K will provide the ability not to be limited with future video cards)?
m
l
July 4, 2011 10:26:15 PM

I'd get something along the lines of an AMD 5450. Something that basically just runs monitors. I think they cost like $36 on newegg. Also the 5450 will still perform better than Integrated graphics(if only barely)
m
l
July 5, 2011 12:17:21 AM

Thank you everyone. I understand that for a video card you either got to goo all the way to a high ranked like the 560 Ti or 570 or go cheap ($40 or so and under) for a decent card that connects the monitor such as the 5450. I don't have a current reasoning for spending tons of money for gaming as I might for the future so for now I go for the $40 and under for a decent card and save my money for other parts of the computer.

Now with that somewhat settled (if anybody have thought I be happy to hear them) what about the other parts of the computer I picked? Any part that might be conflicting with another part? Anything I might be missing that I should get and all other thoughts? Any part that might be replaceable for a equal quality but cheaper part?
m
l
!