MSI GeForce NGTX 460 1GB/OC GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexuslotus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I used to own Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB/OC GDDR5, and I replaced it with MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB/OC GDDR5. I did not change any other hardware or OS.

After replace, my monitor does not get any signal after coming out of sleep mode even though my system seems to be running. I have to force reboot and my monitor gets signal.

I have 4 questions and hopefully someone have answers to my questions.

1) When I initially installed graphics driver for Gigabyte model, I installed the latest driver available from NVIDIA website at that time and not from the driver installation CD that came from Gigabyte. When I switched graphics card from Gigabyte to MSI, I did not reinstall driver and simply kept same driver because I believed that the two video cards are exactly the same GPU but different manufacturer. Should I have uninstalled current one and downloaded one from MSI and not from NVIDIA?

2) I checked NVIDAwebsite today for the latest driver, and they have just released a brand new driver with release date 4/18/11. I also checked with MSI website for the latet driver available, and it's dated 9/20/2010. Should I use the MSI one and not the one that is just released couple days ago?

3) Is there a difference between the driver I get from GPU manufacturers such as NVIDIA or ATI vs card manufacturers such as MSI, Gigabyte, XFX? Which one is recommended and why?

4) NVIDIA website does not have different driver listed for factory OC models such as two video cards that I listed on top of this post, but Gigabyte has different drivers available to download for different models such as SE(Special Edition), OC(Overclocked), and etc. while NVIDIA has only one kind available to download. Does this mean NVIDIA model is a generic driver but the drivers from manufacturers are more specific?

5) What usuallly causes the symptom that I'm having as I described at the very beginning? Again, my minitor gets no signal coming out of sleep mode and I have to force reboot to start receiving signal again.

Solution
Hi All,

I have a similar issue but mine is a different Graphics Card. It's the XFX 8500 GT 512MB. The issue of no signal in the monitor started when i tried to overclock the card and even now after bringing the clocks down to the default level the issue still remains. Any ideas as to what shud i do. Has my Graphic Card gone BAD, shud i replace it with another graphic Card ot something else. Please help me in my situation.

Thanks,

Sunny ;(

Vishant1982

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hi All,

I have a similar issue but mine is a different Graphics Card. It's the XFX 8500 GT 512MB. The issue of no signal in the monitor started when i tried to overclock the card and even now after bringing the clocks down to the default level the issue still remains. Any ideas as to what shud i do. Has my Graphic Card gone BAD, shud i replace it with another graphic Card ot something else. Please help me in my situation.

Thanks,

Sunny ;(

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.