martintov

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hello,
I have a Pentium(R)4 several yrs old. The speed is 3.0 gH.
I was consider buyin a new computer newer procesor but with a speed of 1.6. Does it mean that my old machine is faster or there are other factors to consider?
Thanks

martintov

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hello,
I have a Pentium(R)4 several yrs old. The speed is 3.0 gH.
I was consider buyin a new computer newer procesor but with a speed of 1.6. Does it mean that my old machine is faster or there are other factors to consider?
Thanks

or-ex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
It all depend on the model of the processor you are considering buying. For instance, the i7-720QM is 1.6 ghz, and a atom n450 is also 1.6 ghz, but the i7 is a quad core ( 1.6 ghz x4 = 6.4ghz) so in quadruples the clock speed. Also the i7 has more cache, so if would speed up a pc's performance generally speaking.

So we would need more info on the cpu's you are compering.

edit: forgot to say that the i7 has turbo-boost, so that's 2.8 *4 = 11.2

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
You can use the cpu benchmarks on this website. Go to charts which is right next to forums. Also what do you plan on doing? Most things really don't need anything good as i7, even games today don't really use the i7 to its max. If you have an idea of what you doing you can make an intelligent decision on what to buy since over doing it on power is a waist of money

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
There are definitely other factors to consider.

CPU Architectures change and between these changes, speeds can't directly be compared. For some processors, their 3GHz might be more powerful than the 3GHz of another processor.

Most newer processors can have multiple cores as well. This means there is more than one "processor" on the same chip. For applications that make use of both efficiently, this means you can get through the same work in much less time (half the time if it has 2 Cores etc.).

If you can post the model of the processor in the new computer you are buying, we might be able to work out if it is better than the older one (and how much).