Sign in with
Your question

Need budget HD editing system under 400 bucks

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2011 9:39:28 PM

OK. Over the past week I've been going from board to board looking for answers, and generally people just throw suggestions at me without explaining anything...

I'm trying to build my first PC, I've done research but still know very little.

I need this computer fairly soon, need it for video editing and need it to be under 400 bucks.

I was going for an AMD build because it's cheaper, but one person suggested I spend a little more and go with an Intel i5 quadcore.

I already have a new HD and temporary OS, the DVD drive, additional RAM, graphics card and new monitor will have to wait.

In any case, here are the packages I've come up with:

-MSI NF725GM-P43 AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 & nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD

-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

-CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory

-Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case

I still need a PSU for this one. A lot of people have told me an AMD 6 core in a microATX isn't the most resourceful thing, and that I'd be better going down to a Phenom ii x4 995 so that there is less stress on the board. The other limitations are the two memory slots, which I can deal with, and the limited PCI slots, which again is fine since I only need a PCI and a slot for a graphics card in the future.

Grand total around $335 (with a 40-50 dollar PSU).

-BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

-LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts ATX12V Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors.

- AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL

-Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case

Grand total around $260 (this mobo has no on board graphics, meaning I'd have to buy a GPU with it, but it might be worth it considering it's full sized)

I don't like the looks of that dirt cheap PSU and would rather have a processor at least in the phenom family.

And again, someone suggested a similar build with an i5 that comes to be around the price of the first package.

I have to reiterate, I don't care about gaming. At all. My focus is purely editing and budget, and whatever I can get away with basically, but I don't want to skimp on stuff like a bad PSU or an awful awful case.

Can anyone help me out please? (and please don't just throw another package at me to confuse me even more)
July 4, 2011 11:18:24 PM

A 1100T in microATX is fine, but ancient Nvidia graohics/chipset isnt.
Heres an alternate:
1090T $165 ($35 for 100Mhz is silly, more since its BE, so its super silly :>)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gigabyte AM3+ $65 (AM3+ compatible and a much newer chipset with an acceptable IGP)

DDR3 ram $33.99 (Should work)

Antec NSK with 380W $85 (decent case+decent PSU, you can buyt the CM case plus a Antec Basiq 350W for $10 less though)
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Tower-Bronze-Supply-NSK4482...

Total: ~$350 with the PSU
July 4, 2011 11:28:39 PM

Thanks for responding, I sincerely appreciate it.

Now with that mobo, I see the FSB is much faster but it only supports up 8GB max. Also, not sure what the O.C. option means.

What's better to have- the option to upgrade to 16GB max or a fast bus speed?

And will a 8GB/6 core be mismatched as far as horsepower goes?

And finally, are you suggesting I get one of the lower speed 6 cores in the Phenom family?

Again, thanks for responding. I just have a lot of questions and everyone has different opinions. I want a mobo that's decently priced, but again, am less worried about extras (like a lot of PCI, SLI, SATA support, etc) and more worried about how this be able to handle 1080p HD editing.

If someone thinks I should distribute my budget towards a better mobo/cheaper processor, let me know. It's hard to say if it's more important to sacrifice RAM expansion for processor power, or the reverse...
Related resources
July 5, 2011 12:52:57 AM

Hey, just came back to say what do you think of this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-...

Has DVI port, 16GB max RAM (4 slots instead of 2) 1333mhz, 2600mhz FBS, six core ready.

Only pushes my budget an extra 20 bucks but it'll be worth it in the long run, especially because I can probably skip the graphics card for my needs.

Only one bad review said DOA, but I assume that happens from time to time with every mobo, no?
July 5, 2011 2:40:32 AM

The 1090T is essentially the same as the 1100T for $35 less, being BE, all you need to do to raise the multi by 1 in most Mobos.

That board Its alright if you want 4 slots and don't care about upgrading anytime soon.

8GB would be nice since you're editing video, its pretty cheap so if you can afford it a step-up would be nice.
July 5, 2011 2:58:14 AM

Can you see any drawbacks to that micro ASUS? A few reviews said it was DOA or the graphics went after a few weeks. Is that common among mobos that a handful are defective?

Also, I think I read a review for that board saying it couldn't handle a 125W chip even though it was rated as such.....again, could the reviewer have just been talking of a defective unit, or will a higher watt chip cause my mobo to die quicker?
July 6, 2011 1:40:40 AM

OK, here's my revised package if anyone wants to give me opinions.

-Gigabyte AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard GA-880GA-UD3H $100

-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX $120

-Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window (RC-430-KWN1) $50

-Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms ATX 500 CMPSU-430CXV2 $45

-Liteon 24X DVDrw Sata Retail $18

-4GB RAM (to start out) $35

$370

I plan to upgrade RAM later. I switched to the 4 core, I'm wondering if there is a HUGE difference between an AMD 6 core and 4 core when editing in say, Premiere? Going x 4 saves me $60 bucks and I guess leaves me the option of upgrading the CPU in the future (if AMD releases new processors for the AM3 socket?)
!