Sign in with
Your question

4 Year old Enermax 485W PSU for new build...

Last response: in Components
September 30, 2011 9:55:05 PM

I am in the process of looking into components for a new system I am working on putting together and I was hoping to salvage some pieces from my old system in the process.

I have an Enermax 485W PSU that I bought about 4 years ago that I have hardly used but was curious as to possibly using it in the new system to save a few bucks. Here is a link for it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have no idea about requirements on some of the newer components but was curious if you guys could help me figure out if this will be useable.

I am looking at running an i5-2500k plus a Radeon 6870 or Nvidea 560 Ti. I am not looking to Crossfire or SLI currently, but would do so in the future and upgrade the PSU at that time.

Any help would be appreciated on this. Thanks!
a c 104 ) Power supply
September 30, 2011 10:04:44 PM

no, nein, non, erm, any other language variant on negatory?
I qwouldn't use a 4yr old psu on a new build, especially not a 2500k that your most probably going to overclock,
play safe, get a new decent one, dont skimp on your Pc's heart :) 
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2011 3:46:48 AM

Actually he can use that, a HD 6870 consumes only 150W. The PSU has 384W on the 12V rail.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2011 8:45:06 AM

+1 motopsychojdn

4 years is long time in the PC business and it would ahve degraded a little.

Spend the extra ££ and get yours selft a nice power efficient psu with all those new safety features to protect your investment.
m
l
!