DS vs SP for GBA Games???

How do you find it's like playing the GBA games on your DS units?
I got a DS in a closed box but there are really no new games (launch games)
that really interest me and I am wondering about getting rid of my GBA SP
for the DS.
(I have about a dozen or so older GB/GBC games that I won't really miss.)
Thanks for opinions.
17 answers Last reply
More about games

    "Steven Wandy" <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote
    > How do you find it's like playing the GBA games on your DS units?
    > I got a DS in a closed box but there are really no new games (launch
    games)
    > that really interest me and I am wondering about getting rid of my GBA SP
    > for the DS.
    > (I have about a dozen or so older GB/GBC games that I won't really miss.)
    > Thanks for opinions.

    I can probably only parallel what others have said about the DS versus GBA,
    however I would definetly hold on to your GBA-SP.
    Even though I have a DS now, I still play my GBA games on the SP often. As
    someone else replied, the small SP is still more "convienent" than the DS.
    I'm also prone to slight hand cramping with the DS after about an hour and
    half of game play. I never had any cramping with the GBA-SP, even after
    several hours of game play.

    As for how GBA games look on the DS, well with the DS's backlit screens,
    they do look much better on the DS. I always felt that the GBA-SP had a
    slightly bluish-white tint from its front light that slightly washed out
    colors. Colors on the DS are nice and vivid. One cool feature with the DS
    is that you can choose which screen (top or bottom) to play GBA games on.
    I've found that the top screen is superior, as on the bottom screen you can
    slightly make out the "screen mesh" for the touchscreen capability.

    Back to the bluish-white tint of the GBA-SP light. It seems that some games
    (i.e., "Madden 2004") took that into account when they were developed. On
    the GBA-SP, the field in "Madden 2004" is the green you'd expect for a
    football field, while on the DS it has a yellowish-white tint to the field.
    The DS is showing the actual colors used. I guess they figured blue (tint
    from SP light) + yellow (tint they put in) = green. Just an "interesting"
    thing I noticed.

    Loving the DS though! Only have "Mario 64 DS" and "Asphalt: Urban GT" for
    it so far, but enjoying both a lot..

    Cheers!

    I have both an SP and a DS. I still prefer to play my GBA games on the
    SP, mainly because my hands start to cramp up on the DS because of the
    way you have to hold it. With the SP, I can "cradle" it and brace my
    hands against one another. With the DS, I have to hold it in a
    "pinchy" way, with all of my fingers semi-extended. The DS buttons are
    slightly closer to the edge of the device, so cradling isn't an option.

    http://memepedia.blogspot.com/2004/12/nintendo-ds-evaluated.html ):

    Friday, December 17, 2004
    Nintendo DS - Evaluated

    I've had a nearly month to evaluate my Nintendo DS.

    There's something about the ergonomics of the device that cause my
    thumbs to cramp up. This doesn't happen with my Gameboy Advance SP. In
    analyzing how I hold each of them, I realize the issue is the placement
    of the buttons. The DS's buttons and d-pad are closer to the edge of
    the device, which means I have to hold it in a pinch-type grip -- as
    opposed to the firmer clenching I use for the SP. The "pinch" isn't
    required for games that make heavy use of the touch-screen, though --
    because I hold the system differently, more like a notepad.

    I'm going to trade-in "Super Mario 64 DS". Never really liked the
    original game much in the first place, but I didn't have much to choose
    from as far as launch titles. The game is okay if you like platformers,
    but I ended up playing around with the mini-games more often than the
    main. Might as well get "Feel the Magic", which is apparently ALL
    minigames, or wait for "Warioware Touch".

    "Steven Wandy" <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote in

    > How do you find it's like playing the GBA games on your DS units?
    > I got a DS in a closed box but there are really no new games (launch
    > games) that really interest me and I am wondering about getting rid of
    > my GBA SP for the DS.
    > (I have about a dozen or so older GB/GBC games that I won't really
    > miss.) Thanks for opinions.

    The screen is much better, but the system is about twice as heavy and less
    portable. The button spacing is also less convenient.

    That said, I sold my SP.

    Geo
    --
    George Mealer
    geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

    "Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
    of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:53:53 GMT, "Steven Wandy" <Swandy@si.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >How do you find it's like playing the GBA games on your DS units?
    >I got a DS in a closed box but there are really no new games (launch games)
    >that really interest me and I am wondering about getting rid of my GBA SP
    >for the DS.
    >(I have about a dozen or so older GB/GBC games that I won't really miss.)
    >Thanks for opinions.

    If you want to play multi-player GBA games, or connect to a GameCube,
    you'll have to keep your SP. The DS cannot play multiplayer GBA games
    (though it does fine in single player mode) or connect to a GC for
    games like Four Swords (though an adapter is supposed to be coming out
    for that eventually.)

    Assuming that neither one of the previous points applies to you, the
    DS does a great job of playing GBA games. I wish there was a way to
    remap the buttons (I'd really prefer to use the XY buttons instead of
    the AB ones. My fingers just reach them easier), but the screen is
    noticably better than the SP. As was already said, though, the DS IS
    larger, so it may be somewhat of an annoyance if you carry it around
    with you a lot.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > DS does a great job of playing GBA games. I wish there was a way to
    > remap the buttons (I'd really prefer to use the XY buttons instead of
    > the AB ones. My fingers just reach them easier)

    LOL, yep, from being so used to the GBA-SP, I also find myself often hitting
    the wrong button -- especially in menus.
    (I.e., hitting the button to go "back" instead of to "execute" a selection.)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Steven Wandy <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote:
    > How do you find it's like playing the GBA games on your DS units?

    Short answer: The DS is a better GBA than the GBA or GBA-SP, but I'm
    still not impressed with the touch-screen concept nor the DS' library.

    Longer answer:
    I had a GBA with Afterburner installed, and then received a DS just before
    Christmas, so I took it along on my trip.

    The DS is about the same size as the GBA, but is thicker (for the 2nd screen)
    and heavier. This didn't bother me though. Sure, you can't easily shove a
    DS into your pocket like you could a GBA-SP, but at the same time my hands
    didn't feel cramped holding the DS like they did the GBA-SP. I used a
    large change purse-like bag as an improvised DS-case, which I then tossed
    into my carry-on luggage.

    I didn't think much of the Mario64 game that came with the DS. It felt
    like a rehash of Mario Sunshine, and the the whole touch screen element
    just felt like a gimmick that was tacked on. "ooh - I can touch the
    arrows to rotate the camera" Not very impressive, if you ask me... Being
    on an airplane, I obviously couldn't try out the Pictochat feature.

    Continuing with the touch-screen, I'm really not that impressed with the
    idea. I can certainly see the benefit of a second screen - for maps or
    secondary information for instance - but using the screen while playing a
    game just felt awkward, and in no time, I had fingerprints all over the
    screen from my, my wife's and my brother's attempts at playing the Mario
    game. Yes, I know about the stylus, but explain to me how you're supposed
    to hold the DS, have your fingers on the buttons, and still hold onto a
    stylus to tap the screen? The little finger-tip lanyard thingie doesn't
    really look like a viable alternative either. I can just see Pelican and
    others selling special DS screen-wipes now - and you'll probably want to
    buy them, (or something similar) trust me.

    The fact that the DS is backwards compatible with GBA/SP games is nice,
    though I really wish they could have also made it compatible with the
    GBA's link cable as well.

    Since the DS is so new, there really aren't a whole lot of games out for
    it at this time, meaning it's going to have to rely on the GBA's existing
    library for gaming goodness.

    If you've been wanting to buy a GBA, and don't have any GB/GBC games, then
    leapfrogging to a DS may make sense - especially if you don't like the way
    the GBA-SP feels in your hands.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    George Mealer <geo@snarksoft.invalid> wrote:

    > The screen is much better, but the system is about twice as heavy and less
    > portable. The button spacing is also less convenient.

    > That said, I sold my SP.

    I didn't like the spacing on the SP, myself, and prefer the heft of the
    DS. The screen is definitely better than my GBA w/afterburner as well.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com>
    > Short answer: The DS is a better GBA than the GBA or GBA-SP, but I'm
    > still not impressed with the touch-screen concept nor the DS' library.
    >
    > Longer answer:
    > I had a GBA with Afterburner installed, and then received a DS just before
    > Christmas, so I took it along on my trip.
    >
    > The DS is about the same size as the GBA, but is thicker (for the 2nd
    screen)
    > and heavier. This didn't bother me though. Sure, you can't easily shove
    > DS into your pocket like you could a GBA-SP, but at the same time my hands
    > didn't feel cramped holding the DS like they did the GBA-SP. I used a
    > large change purse-like bag as an improvised DS-case, which I then tossed
    > into my carry-on luggage.
    >
    > I didn't think much of the Mario64 game that came with the DS. It felt
    > like a rehash of Mario Sunshine, and the the whole touch screen element
    > just felt like a gimmick that was tacked on. "ooh - I can touch the
    > arrows to rotate the camera" Not very impressive, if you ask me... Being
    > on an airplane, I obviously couldn't try out the Pictochat feature.
    >
    > Continuing with the touch-screen, I'm really not that impressed with the
    > idea. I can certainly see the benefit of a second screen - for maps or
    > secondary information for instance - but using the screen while playing a
    > game just felt awkward, and in no time, I had fingerprints all over the
    > screen from my, my wife's and my brother's attempts at playing the Mario
    > game. Yes, I know about the stylus, but explain to me how you're supposed
    > to hold the DS, have your fingers on the buttons, and still hold onto a
    > stylus to tap the screen? The little finger-tip lanyard thingie doesn't
    > really look like a viable alternative either. I can just see Pelican and
    > others selling special DS screen-wipes now - and you'll probably want to
    > buy them, (or something similar) trust me.
    >
    > The fact that the DS is backwards compatible with GBA/SP games is nice,
    > though I really wish they could have also made it compatible with the
    > GBA's link cable as well.
    >
    > Since the DS is so new, there really aren't a whole lot of games out for
    > it at this time, meaning it's going to have to rely on the GBA's existing
    > library for gaming goodness.
    >
    > If you've been wanting to buy a GBA, and don't have any GB/GBC games, then
    > leapfrogging to a DS may make sense - especially if you don't like the way
    > the GBA-SP feels in your hands.

    For cleaning the DS's screen(s), I just use the same method that I do with
    my PDA's -- a few quick hot breaths across the screen followed by a wipe
    with a (dry) lint-free camera lens cleaner. (Can get a big box of them for
    only a few dollars -- and it's essentially the same thing as the "PDA wipes"
    that are rediculously priced.) Works just fine, but then again I try not to
    touch the screens (DS or PDA's) with my fingertips as it leaves oil on the
    screen.

    Touchscreen is pretty cool to have, but I hope developers don't use the TS
    just for the sake of using it as an afterthought. It is a little annoying
    that the "Save, Continue, Quit" screen in Mario forces you to use the TS.
    Why the D-pad and buttons couldn't have been also mapped to it, I have no
    idea.

    I'm with you on the "thumb stylus". It can be annoying at times. Even with
    the Metroid demo, you find yourself having to lift the "thumb stylus" from
    the screen and then put it back on to get full range of motion. Nice
    solution to that would be if games are developed with a feature that allow
    you to adjust the sensitivity to the range of motion on the TS. (If thats
    even possible.)

    As for stylus pointer, only thing I ever use it for is simply just some of
    the "point and click" mini-games in "Mario 64 DS" -- and of course the menu
    mentioned above. It'll be nice for application software though. At least
    one developer is working on "PDA-like" applications for the DS. What I'd
    really like to see, and I've said this many times, are a web browser and
    email client for the DS. I use my PDA's with 802.11 at home, work, and in
    several public hot spots. PDA's can be a pain for web browing and emailing
    though, mainly because of a single screen. With the DS's two screen, I
    think such applications could be done very well.

    I have "Mario" and "Asphalt: Urban GT" for the DS. Likewise, no other games
    currently available for the DS are really attracting me. There is a lot of
    cool stuff on the horizon though.

    Just a few more pennies to throw into the wind...
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    The SP is better for playing GBA games. It's lighter, smaller, and more
    compact.

    Skye

    "Steven Wandy" <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote in message
    > How do you find it's like playing the GBA games on your DS units?
    > I got a DS in a closed box but there are really no new games (launch
    games)
    > that really interest me and I am wondering about getting rid of my GBA SP
    > for the DS.
    > (I have about a dozen or so older GB/GBC games that I won't really miss.)
    > Thanks for opinions.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > Steven Wandy <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote:
    > > How do you find it's like playing the GBA games on your DS units?
    >
    > Short answer: The DS is a better GBA than the GBA or GBA-SP, but I'm
    > still not impressed with the touch-screen concept nor the DS' library.
    >
    > Longer answer:
    > I had a GBA with Afterburner installed, and then received a DS just before
    > Christmas, so I took it along on my trip.
    >
    > The DS is about the same size as the GBA, but is thicker (for the 2nd
    screen)
    > and heavier. This didn't bother me though. Sure, you can't easily shove
    > DS into your pocket like you could a GBA-SP, but at the same time my hands
    > didn't feel cramped holding the DS like they did the GBA-SP. I used a
    > large change purse-like bag as an improvised DS-case, which I then tossed
    > into my carry-on luggage.
    >
    > I didn't think much of the Mario64 game that came with the DS. It felt
    > like a rehash of Mario Sunshine, and the the whole touch screen element
    > just felt like a gimmick that was tacked on. "ooh - I can touch the
    > arrows to rotate the camera" Not very impressive, if you ask me... Being
    > on an airplane, I obviously couldn't try out the Pictochat feature.
    >
    > Continuing with the touch-screen, I'm really not that impressed with the
    > idea. I can certainly see the benefit of a second screen - for maps or
    > secondary information for instance - but using the screen while playing a
    > game just felt awkward, and in no time, I had fingerprints all over the
    > screen from my, my wife's and my brother's attempts at playing the Mario
    > game. Yes, I know about the stylus, but explain to me how you're supposed
    > to hold the DS, have your fingers on the buttons, and still hold onto a
    > stylus to tap the screen? The little finger-tip lanyard thingie doesn't
    > really look like a viable alternative either.

    Couldn't agree more. Holding the stylus, and the handheld is just
    uncomfortable. I like that EA innovated their swing method to use the
    touchscreen, but it's not fun. Dual Screen is probably a good idea (would
    be better if Nintendo tried to up the graphics ante like the PSP does), but
    with the bottom screen being a touch screen, more and more companies are
    going to think they have to make use of it, which only hurts games. The
    better games are the ones that make good in-game use of the bottom screen
    without the gimmicky need to touch the screen. It's like a PDA for 9 year
    olds.

    Skye
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The SP is better for playing GBA games. It's lighter, smaller, and more
    > compact.

    Yes but the true backlight on the DS makes the games look better. Go with
    SP if you want lighter, smaller and more compact. Go with DS if you want a
    better image.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> The SP is better for playing GBA games. It's lighter, smaller, and more
    >> compact.
    >
    > Yes but the true backlight on the DS makes the games look better. Go with
    > SP if you want lighter, smaller and more compact. Go with DS if you want
    > a better image.

    Don't forget if you are going to play multiplayer - go with the SP, the DS
    doesn't support GBA multiplayer at all.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Skye wrote:
    > Couldn't agree more. Holding the stylus, and the handheld is just
    > uncomfortable. I like that EA innovated their swing method to use the
    > touchscreen, but it's not fun. Dual Screen is probably a good idea (would
    > be better if Nintendo tried to up the graphics ante like the PSP does), but
    > with the bottom screen being a touch screen, more and more companies are
    > going to think they have to make use of it, which only hurts games. The
    > better games are the ones that make good in-game use of the bottom screen
    > without the gimmicky need to touch the screen. It's like a PDA for 9 year
    > olds.

    sorry, couldn't disagree more...Between the touch screen, wireless,
    microphone, and larger form factor (I have big hands ;) I couldn't wait
    to get a DS...And it's the first portable game system I've bought since
    my Sega Nomad, 'cause it's got more than just some joysticks and buttons
    to mash. I'm hopeful more software developers rethink their games
    instead of just recompile them. Maybe now we'll get some innovative game
    ideas, not just derivatives.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    >>Holding the stylus, and the handheld is just
    >> uncomfortable.
    Definitely takes getting used to but I don't consider it uncomfortable - and
    I am not a young gamer with small hands.

    >>I like that EA innovated their swing method to use the
    >> touchscreen, but it's not fun.
    I have been playing golf games since Leaderboard Golf (a VERY early version
    of Links that came on I believe a single floppy disk - remember those) and
    this is one of the most innovative and enjoyable systems for swing -
    ESPECIALLY on a handheld. (And yes I have had golf games for the Gameboys,
    Sega Nomad and my PDA.)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Chris Knight" <cknight-go@accessoft.org> wrote in message
    > Skye wrote:
    > > Couldn't agree more. Holding the stylus, and the handheld is just
    > > uncomfortable. I like that EA innovated their swing method to use the
    > > touchscreen, but it's not fun. Dual Screen is probably a good idea
    (would
    > > be better if Nintendo tried to up the graphics ante like the PSP does),
    but
    > > with the bottom screen being a touch screen, more and more companies are
    > > going to think they have to make use of it, which only hurts games. The
    > > better games are the ones that make good in-game use of the bottom
    screen
    > > without the gimmicky need to touch the screen. It's like a PDA for 9
    year
    > > olds.
    >
    > sorry, couldn't disagree more...Between the touch screen, wireless,
    > microphone, and larger form factor (I have big hands ;) I couldn't wait
    > to get a DS...And it's the first portable game system I've bought since
    > my Sega Nomad, 'cause it's got more than just some joysticks and buttons
    > to mash. I'm hopeful more software developers rethink their games
    > instead of just recompile them. Maybe now we'll get some innovative game
    > ideas, not just derivatives.

    Gimmicks aren't innovation. The DS is doomed. Onto the junkpile of failed
    handhelds. PSP is going to destroy it.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > >>Holding the stylus, and the handheld is just
    > >> uncomfortable.
    > Definitely takes getting used to but I don't consider it uncomfortable -
    and
    > I am not a young gamer with small hands.
    >
    > >>I like that EA innovated their swing method to use the
    > >> touchscreen, but it's not fun.
    > I have been playing golf games since Leaderboard Golf (a VERY early
    version
    > of Links that came on I believe a single floppy disk - remember those) and
    > this is one of the most innovative and enjoyable systems for swing -
    > ESPECIALLY on a handheld. (And yes I have had golf games for the Gameboys,
    > Sega Nomad and my PDA.)

    I'd rather club baby seals.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    ">
    > I'd rather club baby seals.

    So go take your PSP and club one and leave us alone.

Console Gaming Gameboy Games Nintendo Video Games Product