Going from 4gb to 8gb.

I am looking to get more RAM. At the moment I have 2x2gb of RAM. So when I buy more should I get also 2x2gb because I can´t get 1x4gb?
Also when buying I know that there specs should be the same as of the previous 2 but do they have to be the same brand? Can a different brand cause any problems?
29 answers Last reply
More about going
  1. What motherboard is it? If it can use 4GB DIMM's, just get 2x4GB and leave out the existing 2x2.
  2. they do not have to be the same brand, but there's always some small chance they wont play nice with each other. With memory as cheap as it is when I did this i just bought a 2x4GB set for a few bucks more. The others could still be used with it but I have them in the spare parts box ATM.
  3. Get more of the same RAM. The same that u have and 2x2GB.

Or get a new 2x4GB : )
  4. Yes, different brand may have issues, but if the speed is the same and voltage and timing is the same, it mostly works without problem.

But of course, all the sticks from one kit would be the best choice.
  5. I think I will go with just buying 2x4gb. Just checked the prices an I can get a 2x4gb bundel for on 10€more than when buying 2x2gb and with all new I wil have some spare parts.
  6. Smart move :))
  7. Made by Patriot and branded by AMD. Good RAM.
  8. And would 40€ be a reasonable price for 8gb?
  9. Depends on what country u live in.

But, yes.

I never buy the cheapest stuff and almost never buy the most expensive either.
  10. I think I will get the AMD ram. Because I like AMD and it is at a nice price range. Andalso thank you Nikorr for all your help.
  11. No problem at all.

BTW,

What is your CPU?

And what model is the RAM?
  12. AMD Phenom II 955 BE and the RAM will be AMD Performance Edition 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB) 1600MHz CL8 1.65V, Red HS.
  13. Ov3rdose said:
    AMD Phenom II 955 BE and the RAM will be AMD Performance Edition 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB) 1600MHz CL8 1.65V, Red HS.

Requires an OC, either the FSB -> 240MHz and adjusting the CPU Multiplier, or BE only both the CPU-NB Frequency & HT Link Frequency -> 2400MHz and in both cases setting the RAM in the BIOS: Frequency, CAS Timings, DRAM Voltage, and in most cases the CPU-NB Voltage -> +0.10V (1.20v) to insure stability.
  14. Why do I need to do that? Because it is 1600mhz?
  15. It's the AMD CPU's IMC and even the 6-core Phenom, the newer FX it's not an issue. The above is to prevent errors and data corruption. Some ASUS AMD MOBO's make it a lot easier with AI Overclock Tuner.
  16. I am sure that I have used a 1600mhz RAM for the last year. Is that bad? Should i do something about it?
  17. Q - Are you running Defaults or what settings have you changed in the BIOS?

If all you did was to plug & play then the RAM is running Default i.e. at DDR3-1333 speed. Use CPU-z to identify, see the DRAM Frequency and if it's ~667MHz then it's DDR3-1333 and if it's ~800MHz then you're running DDR3-1600.
    CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Memory tab - http://www.cpuid.com/medias/images/en/softwares-cpuz-04.jpg

Here's G.SKILL's own Guide - http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688
  18. I am running default, haven´t changed any settings in the bios. I will check the DRAM frequency when i get back from work.
  19. Frankly, the difference DDR3-1333/1600 is minimal.
  20. So there is no harm if I run a 1600 RAM at 1333?
  21. Just checked with CPU-Z and my DRAM Frequency is 669 Mhz.
  22. No harm running DDR3-1333 and 669MHz*2=1338MHz the FSB normally fluctuates a few MHz which is fine. :)
  23. That is good to know. But if I want i can do something to get it to 1600? Will there be any difference?
  24. Yep, but you need to make several BIOS changes. If you want the settings then I need more info.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 BE

Q - What exact MOBO?
    Q - What exact RAM? ; please provide a link of a screen shot of CPU-z SPD tab
  25. Ov3rdose said:
    I think I will go with just buying 2x4gb. Just checked the prices an I can get a 2x4gb bundel for on 10€more than when buying 2x2gb and with all new I wil have some spare parts.

Before you shelf your 2x2GB, you could try running with 2x2GB + 2x4GB. If it works and passes overnight memtest86, you'll have 12GB instead of spare parts.
  26. RAM: DDR3-1600 9-9-9-27 @ 1.65v ; since no Command Rate is listed you can try 1T and if problems in Memtest 2T. Most DDR3-1600 use 2 (same as 2, 2N, or 2T).
    MOBO: GA-990XA-UD3
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 BE (3.2GHz)

BIOS:
    CPU NorthBridge Freq. -> 2400MHz
    HT Link Frequency -> 2400MHz
    Set Memory Clock -> 8 ; 8*200MHz = DDR3-1600
    DRAM Configuration /Enter
    1T/2T Command Timing -> Auto or 1T ; problems 2T
    CAS# latency -> 9
    RAS to CAS R/W Delay -> 9
    Row Precharge Time -> 9
    Minimum RAS Active Time -> 27

DRAM Voltage Control -> 1.65v or 1.64v (depends on menu)
    CPU NB VID Control -> 1.20v

Save & Exit = Yes
  27. Thanks, I will try it when I have time.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM