9500GT causing game crashes and BSODs after attempted overclock

Brian10122

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Well, about a month and a half ago I attempted OC'ing my EVGA 9500GT to about 590MHz and it ran pretty epic the whole day(I was just messing around, I mean my performance wasn't so bad anyways.. I know it's an old card but for medium graphics on most games it gets the job done) and after a couple hours of FPS gaming (Combat Arms specifically) my computer bluescreened for the first time in 4 years. I've reformatted it several times (Windows 7 x86(original) - Windows 7 x64 - Windows 7 x86 - Windows Vista x64 - Windows Vista x86 - Windows Vista x86 - Windows XP x86(current), all in this month and a half) and at first, it was great with XP. I felt like the performance was as it was originally (still BSODs, but probably as much as the second day) but after about a week it sunk back down. Now it's been three weeks I believe (time has been flying by, not exactly sure) and I can't even play any DirectX games, except for a couple (but I'll get to that later) and all of them (including Minecraft which is Java but uses OpenGL extensively) will just randomly crash. Minecraft after about 5 minutes which is great, but all the others usually less than a minute into the game. Here are the ones I've tested so far:

Aliens vs. Predator
Call of Duty Black Ops
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
MapleStory (yeah, really..)
Combat Arms

These games ALL crash upon opening or within a couple minutes. HOWEVER.. I would like to mention that for some reason Source Engine games work COMPLETELY FINE! This is the most intriguing thing to me as MapleStory and Combat Arms can't even play on it and somehow Portal 2, CSS, and Garry's Mod can run at 70+ fps at pretty high settings.. I was expecting Portal 2 to be *** on this computer but I bought it anyways today, and guess what? With vSync it's ALWAYS at 60 fps. Doesn't drop or anything. I could also benchmark it without vsync later if anyone would like. Here are my settings for Portal 2:

1920 x 1080 (native)
2x MSAA
Anisotropic 4x
Multicore: Enabled
Shaders: Low
Effect: Medium
Model/Texture: High

If it helps, my processor is also an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0GHz. I'm gonna be getting a new gaming PC next month (hopefully with an 1100T/975 + 6950) for graduation, but I can't not game for that long. And I'm sick of reformatting.. I'm sure there's an easy fix or something.. Also, yes I've checked my GFX is back at stock settings it was EVGA Precision anyways and I hadn't set it to apply on boot. My friend recommended cooking it to truly reset the chips but I'd most likely *** it up.. So, thanks for reading this whole essay I've typed.. It'd be sick if I could get some help as I'd love to play Black Ops and Combat Arms some more before I get my new PC.

Thanks,
Brian

What happens when you remove the overclock?

If your problems clear up, that means that you cannot overclock your video card with stability.

I mean, your system is stable. You change something. It becomes unstable. This is a "Duh!" moment.

The next step is obviously to put the system back to stock.

Brian10122

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Obviously I know this, and as I stated I had put the GPU clock back to stock. I have double and triple checked multiple times, the GPU is at stock settings again. It could be something with the RAM or CPU, however it would be a big coincidence (or maybe the GPU damaged something) since it all started to occur on that day..

Brian10122

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Downloaded WhoCrashed, here's the list of BSODs it found logged:
On Fri 4/22/2011 8:55:45 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-08.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x17B592)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFB82677F4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.sys .
Google query: nv4_disp.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 4/22/2011 8:17:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-07.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x2446BE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83B0925, 0xFFFFFFFFA2C44880, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.sys .

On Fri 4/22/2011 8:17:18 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-09.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x11439C)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFFFFF88F61978, 0xFFFFFFFF8A1BF538, 0xFFFFFFFF8A234930, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
Google query: nv4_disp.sys THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Fri 4/22/2011 7:46:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-05.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x2BCD6)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x0, 0x1C, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF80502CD6)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: J:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 4/22/2011 5:01:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-04.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: rtkhdaud.sys (RtkHDAud+0x65A5D)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFFFFFA8D62A5D, 0xFFFFFFFFB84C7C6C, 0x0)
file path: J:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rtkhdaud.sys
product: Realtek(r) High Definition Audio Function Driver (HRTF data Copyright 1994 by MIT Media Lab)
company: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
description: Realtek(r) High Definition Audio Function Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: rtkhdaud.sys (Realtek(r) High Definition Audio Function Driver, Realtek Semiconductor Corp.).
Google query: rtkhdaud.sys Realtek Semiconductor Corp. KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 4/22/2011 4:49:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsp.sys (aswSP+0x9B82)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x2C445, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: J:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswsp.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! self protection module
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys (avast! self protection module, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsp.sys AVAST Software PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

On Fri 4/22/2011 4:14:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFFFFF8992D019)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF8992D019)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: Unknown .
Google query: Unknown CUSTOM_ERROR

On Fri 4/22/2011 5:43:09 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x171D)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF80171D, 0xFFFFFFFFB16B2A30, 0x0)
file path: J:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 4/21/2011 12:07:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x25D64)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x490028, 0x1C, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF804FCD64)
file path: J:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 4/21/2011 12:48:33 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042011-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x11439E)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFFFFF88E5E3A8, 0xFFFFFFFF897D6CE8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A3B80C8, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
Google query: nv4_disp.sys THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Wed 4/20/2011 11:32:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswmon2.sys (aswMon2+0xA34)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1902FE, 0xFFFFFFFFA4E0E534, 0xFFFFFFFFA4E0E230, 0xFFFFFFFF806E794F)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: J:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys
description: avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswmon2.sys (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswmon2.sys AVAST Software NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

On Wed 4/20/2011 3:21:05 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswmon2.sys (aswMon2+0xA34)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x841, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF806E7A2A)
file path: J:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys
description: avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswmon2.sys (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswmon2.sys AVAST Software CUSTOM_ERROR

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
J:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042211-06.dmp

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
"This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. "

"A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.sys . "

Something seems to be wrong with your AVAST security also....

Brian10122

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

nv4? Is that nForce 430? Because the integrated graphics are nForce 430 6150SE, didn't think that could be a problem.. Avast was just recently installed, but should I reinstall it or something?