Palit 470 (base) or MSI cyclone 460 1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palit 470 or MSI cyclone 460 1GB

Well that is about it, what say yee as I move over to the darkside ?

honestly after shipping and taxes 460 comes with a free game hawx 2

audio is pretty important to me over hdmi

If there is an audio connector on the 470 (run from motherboard)

I have not found it for the 470

the card is likely going to move over to me new PC in the fall.

Bulldozer (if it does not suck) or a 2500K

the palit looks Like I will have to aftermarket cool (would not mind this)

but initialy it will sound like a leaf blower ?

yeah I am all over the place so will leave it at that.

Solution
If the price is the same the 470 is a better card. I have a palit GTX 465 which has the same cooler as their 470 I think (dual orange fans, black shroud). It is not particularly noisy, it's more quiet than the reference blower design. The Cyclone is a very good card with a nice quiet cooler, but the 460 isn't in the same class as the 470.

And I bought Hawx 2 on steam's half price sale a few months ago. I've played all of 116 minutes of the game and I'm not sure if I'll play it again, it's not a great game so I wouldn't base my video card decision on it comming with a card.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
470 is a heat and power hog. It runs hot and loud and really isn't a well designed card. The 460 is a great card and MSI > Palit in terms of quality. Plus you get a free game :p

My vote MSI cyclone 460 1GB

shane799

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
The 470 will blow the doors off the performance of the 460 regardless of the overclock. The overclocked cards I've seen produce 5 percent better performance than there standard counterparts and you can just overclock them yourself. The 460 is a great card, but you will bet more life and better frame rates from the 470. It will use more power, and will be louder, but not that much that it will bother you really. Who cares about the free game, if you really want that game it will be on sale on steam for 10 bucks by the end of the year if not 7.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
If the price is the same the 470 is a better card. I have a palit GTX 465 which has the same cooler as their 470 I think (dual orange fans, black shroud). It is not particularly noisy, it's more quiet than the reference blower design. The Cyclone is a very good card with a nice quiet cooler, but the 460 isn't in the same class as the 470.

And I bought Hawx 2 on steam's half price sale a few months ago. I've played all of 116 minutes of the game and I'm not sure if I'll play it again, it's not a great game so I wouldn't base my video card decision on it comming with a card.

Solution

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
The GTX 470 has more brute force. The problem is it comes with cost, heat, and noise deficeinces. Its really loud, runs pretty hot (depending on the cooler), and more expensive than the GTX 460.

I have a GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB, and the cooler is awsome, the card, while it is somewhat powerful, isn't what I was hoping for. You have to OC to at least 850Mhz before it competes with the GTX 470. I got mine to about 880Mhz (900 usually beats the 470 at everything but tesselation) just fine on stock voltage, but Crysis (The only game out of 20 that I tested) didn't like it and I would get a Hypertransport Sync Flood error.

My vote, if they are the same price (And PSU isnt an issue), I would go for the 470.

Same features that the 460 + some + extra power - increases power hunger - noise>GTX 460 1GB :)

And who cares about free games, most of the time they don't work right and/or they arn't very good games, thus why they hand them out. I think HAWK 2 was a wanna be (If i remember right none of the critics liked it...), the only reason Tom's ever uses it is for tesselation tests. If you really want it, wait for half a year and pick it up as a download from steam or amazon for around 10-15$.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Interesting, so the S/PDIF on that card is an input and the card just passes audio through to the HDMI cable? I have a 465 that uses the same pcb as a 470 and also a reference 460 and niether one has such a connector FWIW.

That's because they can both pass audio over PCIe, the G9x can't.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Ah thanks that's good to hear. I havn't bothered with HDMI sound since I had an ATI 4*** card (also used a DVI/HDMI adapter that passed sound) and enabling the ATI HD audio device on that one always disabled my onboard sound device.

Status
Not open for further replies.