Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please help! what graphics cards are compatible with my older m17x

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2011 6:51:00 AM

i hate asking dumb questions and i hope im not asking one, i have an older m17x alienware laptop. its has two Nvidia Geforce GTX 260M graphics cards currently and has direct X 10. but the graphics for me just arnt up to par. im looking to buy a graphics card that can handle the advanced games i play. i am somewhat PC literate but cant seem to find any information on what cards will fit. how would i know what cards are compatible? and if you could create a list of cards you would recommend that would be great. how would i upgrade directx?
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2011 7:04:41 AM

Laptops are generally what you see is what you get. They are not designed to whip a card in when the machine gets dated. That ability belongs to the desktop. Direct x functionality is built in to the cards at the time of release. To get Direct X 11 you need to purchase a card that supports it. Unfortunately a laptop does not accommodate that option. If you want the ability to upgrade at whim then you must purchase a desktop. If you want the graphics ability yo play later games on a laptop then you have to buy another laptop. Sorry Dude.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2011 8:54:42 AM

I checked out the thread and they do talk about how it is practically impossible to find cards to upgrade the laptop with and the questioner talks about how it is impossible to find any information on upgrading that laptop. The conclusion I reach on the basis of that is it may be technically possible to do it but assuming you can find the cards which I assume have been stripped out of other laptops and you can pay the premium price demanded then you would still have to consider if the laptops cooling and power supply and battery are potent enough to cope with more powerful cards than the original card that came with the laptop.
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 22, 2011 10:53:35 AM

One of the users managed to swap 2 GTX 280Ms to 2 GTX 285Ms in M17x R1
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/509380-g...
"Well, with the vbios that nRabbit gave to me, I was able to succesfully flash my GTX 280Ms to GTX 285M's and they actually worked in SLI , as you can see in the next screen shot"
However,you have to flash the GPU BIOS(which is risky)

However,you can do these upgrades if you have the Dell M17x R1 not the older M17x which were sold by AW(before dell bought them)
http://www.notebookforums.com/forum/thread/235582/m17-r...
April 22, 2011 2:34:42 PM

Maziar said:
One of the users managed to swap 2 GTX 280Ms to 2 GTX 285Ms in M17x R1
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/509380-g...
"Well, with the vbios that nRabbit gave to me, I was able to succesfully flash my GTX 280Ms to GTX 285M's and they actually worked in SLI , as you can see in the next screen shot"
However,you have to flash the GPU BIOS(which is risky)

However,you can do these upgrades if you have the Dell M17x R1 not the older M17x which were sold by AW(before dell bought them)
http://www.notebookforums.com/forum/thread/235582/m17-r...
The R1 is the model before Dell bought them. the R2 and R3 are post Dell buy out. I have the M15x with 9800GTX and it can accomadate and ATI 5870 which the M17X should also be able to handle and provide DX11 for the OP while reducing his heat and power output.
April 22, 2011 2:43:00 PM

Cole21 said:
i hate asking dumb questions and i hope im not asking one, i have an older m17x alienware laptop. its has two Nvidia Geforce GTX 260M graphics cards currently and has direct X 10. but the graphics for me just arnt up to par. im looking to buy a graphics card that can handle the advanced games i play. i am somewhat PC literate but cant seem to find any information on what cards will fit. how would i know what cards are compatible? and if you could create a list of cards you would recommend that would be great. how would i upgrade directx?

I think you should get GTX 280Ms, they will cattch up. but i need to know how much power you have so i can tell if yours draws it or not.
April 22, 2011 5:12:27 PM

will the GTX 280Ms make much of a differance? where would i find the information on the power?- but, basically what you all are trying to say is that im S.O.L. there isnt any way i could upgrade the laptop to newer technology?

if this is the case that the cards cannot be upgraded, is there a way that i could gut the computer and build it around what the newer m17x's have?
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 22, 2011 5:13:23 PM

GTX 280Ms are definitely worth it,they're much faster than your GTX 260M's
April 22, 2011 5:33:15 PM

alright ill concider it, what about stripping it down to the case and updating everything? would it be possible to buy the parts on the newer M17X and upgrade that way?
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 22, 2011 7:15:31 PM

I think you can upgrade the CPU to faster Core 2 Duo/Quad but you can't get the Core i5/i7 models
April 22, 2011 7:40:54 PM

what would prevent me from slapping a i7 in there? i believe you, i just dont understand why you couldnt
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 6:47:49 AM

It's because the M17x R1 uses Core2 CPUs;whereas, the R2 and R3 models use
Core "i" CPUs
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/469879-w...
"R1: Core 2 duo cpus and Nvidia chipset
R2: i5, i7 cpus and Intel chipset"

You can't install Core i5/i7 CPUs on the R1 because they require a different socket.
November 27, 2011 3:55:10 AM

The case design is the same, just swap the mobo and your good, i did that , works fine..
November 27, 2011 4:01:55 AM

Also, you can change the dvd-rom drives with a'lot of different slot loading drives, the ram, the processor, and yes even the video cards, oh and oh my god,, you can change the wireless card with any pcie one, including half or mini, can change the hard drives...And wait, you can change it to the led screen too.. i hate people that post in regards to something they dont know that much about.. AW and DELL are like audi's and bmw's.. their exclusive engineering..or.. PROPRIETARY

To the gentleman that posted about this "notebook/laptop" the m17x is classified as a desktop replacement, due to the fact it weighs over 15 pounds and a core of many more factors...
January 8, 2012 3:27:36 AM

So where do you get the components to do this as I am looking at doing a rebuild myself shortly of even a complete replacement of my R1 so I can take advantage of current tech. I love my Alienware but curently due to almost three year old tech I am highly restricted in what I can upgrade.
!