CMOS Reset Without Opening Up Laptop?

noiofnine

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hello... I have a HP-G60 635DX.
The issue is am having is that any time I close the lid and for longer then 10 mins and then come back to it... opening the lid powers the laptop back up, however, the screen is blank.
I have toyed around with the power settings, to keep it from going to sleep, hibernating, keep the disk from going to sleep, etc.

I have installed a refresh version of Win7, even going as far as installing a fresh version of Win8 Evaluation Build.
Still the problem exist, and its quite annoying to have to force shut down by holding the power button for 4 secs.

I reset bios to default. Still nothing. So next logical step is to clear CMOS, but don't really want to open it up. Which is not a problem I have done it before... its just a pain in the rear to keep track of all the screws!

So Anyhow Know if there is a way to clear the CMOS with out opening up the laptop?

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Sounds like the switch that detects if your screen is closed is whats triggering it.
However clearing cmos won't he;p with that and you won't be able to clear it without opening up the laptop and removing hte bios battery which may be soldered onto the board anyway.
Change windows power options to not turn of the screen and to do nothing if the lid is closed.
Never had turn of a screen on me after setting that.

noiofnine

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
plasmastorm:
Sounds like the switch that detects if your screen is closed is whats triggering it.
However clearing cmos won't he;p with that and you won't be able to clear it without opening up the laptop and removing the bios battery which may be soldered onto the board anyway.
Change windows power options to not turn of the screen and to do nothing if the lid is closed.
Never had turn of a screen on me after setting that.

Well, The switch seems to be fine. Closing and opening it triggers the screen to go off when it reaches the point to engage and turns one when it opens. Its just that if I leave it closed for longer then 10 mins.

When I had installed the fresh Win7... I changed all the power options to do nothing... but still it was a pain.
So now I am just running on the Win8 Evaluation... will try that again and so where that goes.

Will be a few hours before I can test it. Working today! woohoo! lol