Strange liquid accumulating??

signo38

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Recently I noticed this strange liquid accumulating in my rear exhaust fan. I have a completely air cooled computer and my cpu cooler is stock. I looked all around my computer and I can only find this liquid on the fan. Does anyone have any idea what this is? The fan in question is a stock fan that came with my case btw.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t251/seagullguy/IMG_0401.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t251/seagullguy/IMG_0398.jpg

Antec 300 Illusion
Antec Earthwatts 750
Intel i7 930
OCZ 1600 6gb
Western Digital 1 tb black
Sapphire 5870
Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r

cpu idle:45
cpu load:65
gpu idle:40
gpu load:70

Solution
I vote for fan grease, take the fan out, wipe it good and dry it, re-fit and spin it up, it comes back, its excess grease/lube from the bearing, it'll stop after a while but I'd worry about the bearing in that scenario myself
Moto

lehighace06

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
if not an ac vent, check other environmental factors, it is highly unlikely that an air cooled pc would have liquid on the inside, since none of the components are liquid.

only thing i can think of otherwise is perhaps a liquid crystal bulb on the fan has burst and it's the liquid crystals; or something like that....

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
First, your CPU idle temp. seems a bit high, I would apply new thermal paste remove the stock Intel tape. That doesn't have much to do with your water issue though. It looks like condensation would be forming. Look for any windows or air ducts within the environment around your PC. What is the ambient temperature in your environment? If it is too cold (doubtful but stranger things have happened) that could be the problem. Otherwise, check the relative humidity in your environment. If it is too humid, it could be condensing on your fan. I have had similar happen in damp areas. Just be sure to keep your case nice and tidy and blow it out (NOT with the compressed air crap, with a lower power air compressor or a blower function on your vacuum.) Let us know what you come up with. The 930 is a nice Proc. almost got one myself! (Opted for a root canal over new, fun build though)

signo38

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I think you guys are right about it being grease. Given that the grease only leaks out of the exhaust fan, would it be safe to just ignore it? Also, I picked up a hyper 212+ and my new idle is 40 C and 60 C load. Ambient is 80-90 F.