Motherboard not recognizing graphics card

stefan_m

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is actually a motherboard problem or a video card problem so I figured I would just try the motherboard forum.

Almost every other time I turn my computer on, the lights will come on for about 1 second (no display though), it would shut itself down, then start up automatically 2 seconds later and send the display though the integrated graphics rather than the graphics card. Device manager does not detect the graphics card at all.

To fix it, I need to shut down, take out the graphics card and boot the computer. Shut down again and put the graphics card back in and it works fine. Simple enough but very annoying. When it is working though, no problems at all while I am using the computer.

It has also happened while in sleep/hibernation and said the memory has changed and if I would you like to delete saved data and start a new boot when I tried to resume.

Both MSI and Elitegroup can't figure it out and say to test their components in other computers, but I don't have access to other computers.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ECS H61H2-M2(1.0)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Power: COOLER MASTER GX 450W RS450-ACAAD3-US
CPU: Intel Celeron G530
Graphics: MSI R6570-MD1G/LP Radeon HD 6570

Thanks everyone

it may not be the video card. have you put the newest bios for the mb onto the mb?? with new mb there code for cpu and ram loaded into the mb. mb vendors and ram vendors test to see if there are any issue with there mb and ram and put new bios code out for it. or warn people not to use brand x ram in the mb. with new mb if they cant read the spd info right they will reboot a few times then fall back. when they fall back they fall back to a default bios and on-board video. because onboard video will be by default the first video device. i would look at your ram spec that the ram is 1.5v the older ram is 1.65v and some mb dont like it. i would email ecs and gskills to see if this ram been tested on your mb. if not or they cant say i would try one new dimm from a local store like best buys or micro center. if the error stops..it was the ram. as your using a non over clock mb i would look to using stock 1333 ram or 1066 ram.

stefan_m

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will try to get some different ram and hopefully that fixes the problem. Also, I did update the bios to the latest version.

ky_ecsusa

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Did you try the onboard video? Dose the system has the same issue with the onboard video?

After plugging in the video card, please clear the CMOS jumper on the motherboard. Load the default setting inside the BIOS menu, SAVE and EXIT.

It may relate to the video card driver. Please try to install the latest video card driver from AMD website.

stefan_m

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Onboard video works great. This motherboard actually allows you to run both the onboard and video card at the same time for 4 displays, which is the setup I have. When this problem happens, it sees the 2 onboard displays fine but does not see the video card in any way, like it is not even plugged in.

I do have the latest drivers so that shouldn't be the problem. I will try clearing the cmos next time it happens. Hopefully that fixes it. I did order a different brand of RAM but I really don't think that is the problem. If nothing works, Ill just RMA the motherboard first, if the problem persists, then the video card. The only sure way to find out what was the problem.

Thanks for the response.

stefan_m

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Thanks for the response. I have decided to RMA the motherboard but the website for the 99 hour replacement is giving me a lot of problems. First it is requiring me to fill out irrelevant information, like the VGA card questions and the second address, and when I submit, I just get this error:

Server Error in '/ECSWebSite' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
ECSPortalWeb.UserControl.Member.ReturnApplyControl.I_PRODUCT_DETAIL() in D:\working\ECSPortal\ECSWebAppSolution\ECSPortalWeb\UserControl\Member\ReturnApplyControl.ascx.cs:117
ECSPortalWeb.UserControl.Member.ReturnApplyControl.bntNext_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\working\ECSPortal\ECSWebAppSolution\ECSPortalWeb\UserControl\Member\ReturnApplyControl.ascx.cs:520
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565