Need two cards or one dual port cards to run separate video functions

Jeff1108

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I would appreciate some help with a concept. I have been building my own and others computers for 25 years. Never had the need for this concept.
I have purchased the parts for a fast system, including i7 intel cpu, 16 g ram, etc.
I want to be able to use a /the video card(s) for 2 things running concurrently.
1 – to have movies, etc, that have been recorded into Windows Media Center – Win 7, via uverse to Hauppauge 2250 IN. And then send back to the stand alone TV via a cable existing from a video card (2 gig HIS 5570).

While, at the same time, doing simple word processing, web surfing, etc. – which would go to a simple computer MONITOR.

A dual port graphics card is designed for multiple computer monitors. Obvious enough.

I have the impression I would need a second video card, with its own unused ports, to do my standard computer functions, visible on a separate computer monitor, while the other TV / movie functions, which are coming in from the Uverse or cable set top box are underway – separately.

The quad core CPU and all around new and fast system should be able to allow multiple computing functions concurrently – but my question is how to set up the requisite video card or cards necessary to serve both video functions concurrently.

If I can plug one port into the TV (HDMI) and the other port (DVI) into the computer monitor, that would be great. (It even references “hardware acceleration decode of dual 1080p HD video streams”

But I don’t know if one card can handle both functions concurrently.

I don’t object to the cost of another card. The 2 gig HIS 5570 is only around $70.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GUS5DO

or the cost of a dual port card. - $180
HIS has a newer card with built in dual ports. – the \
HIS Radeon HD 6850 1 GB (256bit) GDDR5 Eyefinity Display Port HDMI 2x

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Eyefinity-Display-Express-H685F1GD/dp/B0047N0XBM/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

I think you get the idea of this question. Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

This all depends on how the application you are using to run TV works. Some will not run in a window properly. You should not need 2 video cards for this either if things work. Just setup a dual display, and move the TV program to the second screen.

Jeff1108

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks, I would be doing Windows Media Center type things as one factor. In other words, taking video input, via the Hauppauge 2250 IN – and then sending it back out, from the PC to the TV via a cable from a video card OUT port. (on the 2 gig HIS 5570 there are 3 ports, HDMI, DVI-D and VGA). This would be the first usage of a card and the PC system.

Separately, on a simple computer monitor, I would be doing anything else, like email, documents, web surfing, - even Photoshop, perhaps. But NO games playing. Nothing (in the second usage) in the way of streaming video, if I understand the concept properly.

I would want to do these concurrently, as separate actions in the PC. If it were not the intent to do these at the same time, the question would be moot and it would be simple to switch back and forth, even with a switcher to have the graphics card dedicate itself to one or the other of the two uses.

In my reading of what I have so far found regarding the usual concepts of dual monitors, - which I have been using for years with a separate, larger, monitor, in addition to the notebook smaller monitor – it is just a bumping around of where the SINGLE output would go.

In my present intent, I wish that the TV and the computer monitor operate separately, concurrently, either with one graphics card, 2 graphics cards, or one super dual function graphic cards.

I just don’t have experience in this particular intended action. I can’t even visualize where and how I would assign each separate activity to each separate screen, - within windows (7).

You guys and gals likely eat this stuff for breakfast and without 3 blinks of the eye. Thus my query and request for help and advice.

I await responses - Jeff

You don't assign the activity to the monitor, you start the application and move it over to whatever monitor you want to see it on. I'm running dual monitors now, and have configured systems with 3,4 monitors. As long as the application does not force itself into the main monitor, you just window it, drag it over to the second monitor, and maximize it. It will then run in that monitor. And should actually remember it's location next time you start it. I have this page in my main monitor, and a video stream going on in the second one.

Jeff1108

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks, hang-the-9, -

Do you cable out of 1 (one, single) video card with two cables - one cable each - to the two separate, physical monitors ?

Jeff

PS
Even though you are using, it would appear, two "computer monitors", rather than a "TV" (CRT or otherwise) and a computer monitor - I expect that a real "TV" would not bring in an exception to this. J

One video card, 2 video outs, 2 cables, one to the main monitor, one to the TV display. The video card software will have options to configure the displays however you want, resolutions, colors, positions, etc...

Jeff1108

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
A thank you.
In the case of this card, since it has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI-D, and 1 VGA out, I would obviously use a different type of cable (a HDMI cable plus a separate DVI cable) to the appropriate ports of the TV monitor and separately the computer monitor.

And, obviously, it is not a matter of "either or" on the video card, as I have sometimes seen in the past, but with this brand new card, - the usage of each of the ports concurrently, at the same time.

I am off line for a few hours before I could return to the thread. If anything I have just, here, added, amounts to a non understanding that should be corrected, I welcome such correction.

Otherwise, let this serve as a thank you communication.

Best, Jeff