Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ethernet or WLAN will not start

Last response: in Networking
September 11, 2010 2:38:18 AM

Hi guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 I am working on but can't get the ethernet or wireless card to start.
I finally got the devices defined and the drivers installed. I have tried to uninstall, install, disable, enable, but
in the properties box on the Resources tab, it says, "This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem" This is stated for both ethernet and wireless. Also, on the General tab it says, "This device cannot start
(Code 10), both devices. I can't reload the OS, because I do not have a copy, etc. I am hoping there is a setting wrong somewhere. Any and all suggestions appreciated! Also in DOS with ipconfig /all -All it says is Windows IP
Configuration. Nothing there at all.

More about : ethernet wlan start

a b F Wireless
September 11, 2010 5:27:59 AM

hourb12 said:
Hi guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 I am working on but can't get the ethernet or wireless card to start.
I finally got the devices defined and the drivers installed. I have tried to uninstall, install, disable, enable, but
in the properties box on the Resources tab, it says, "This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem" This is stated for both ethernet and wireless. Also, on the General tab it says, "This device cannot start
(Code 10), both devices. I can't reload the OS, because I do not have a copy, etc. I am hoping there is a setting wrong somewhere. Any and all suggestions appreciated! Also in DOS with ipconfig /all -All it says is Windows IP
Configuration. Nothing there at all.

[#0005ff]Perhaps they're both turned off in BIOS.[/#000ff]
m
l
September 11, 2010 12:40:28 PM

I wish it was that easy - I checked that also.
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2010 1:11:45 PM

I checked BIOS again and this is what I found.

Wireless Configuration

Mini PCI Device: Unknown, this is in blue letters and will not change, scrolls past it.
Mini PCI Status: Enabled
Wireless Control: <fn + f2>/Application
Wireless: on
m
l
a b F Wireless
September 12, 2010 6:38:17 AM

[#0005ff]Even tough it's turned on in BIOS, Windows may still expect you to press the Fn key - two to the left of your spacebar - and Function 2 together to start up the device.[/#000ff]
m
l
September 13, 2010 1:51:30 AM

Unfortunately, I can't get that far. Device managr says, "This device cannot start", it also says the same thing for the ethernet connection. I am pretty sure I have the proper drivers loaded as I got them from the support website. Something is stopping the drivers from starting. Do you think a usb wireless card would start or would I be wasting my money?
m
l

Best solution

a b F Wireless
September 13, 2010 5:58:33 AM

hourb12 said:
Unfortunately, I can't get that far. Device managr says, "This device cannot start", it also says the same thing for the ethernet connection. I am pretty sure I have the proper drivers loaded as I got them from the support website. Something is stopping the drivers from starting. Do you think a usb wireless card would start or would I be wasting my money?

[#0005ff]If this is the dreaded Code 39 which shows up for no apparently good reason, the only way I've ever found round it is to remove all references to both devices from the Registry then restatr and hope they come back with clean Found new Hardware processes. You need to take the device ID from the Properties>Details tab and input it in the Find field of the Registry's Edit menu and delete every one you find by hitting Function 3 to go to seek out the next one.

Many will refuse to be removed and you need to right click the entry and go to Permissions then grant yourself full control. You also need to find the relevant entries in C:\Windows\inf - which is a hidden file - to make sure that doesn;t cloud the issue.

It's all a very painful process and if this was a new installation, it's probably quicker to go back and start again.
[/#000ff]

September 20, 2010 2:15:35 AM

Best answer selected by hourb12.
m
l
!