Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless Security Key

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 24, 2010 6:27:38 AM

I followed your very clear instructions about retrieving my Wireless Security Key but found the key was encoded?
Mac

More about : wireless security key

a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
December 24, 2010 9:10:35 AM


Maybe you aren't supposed to see it. Does the router's setup page allow you to change it something else?

m
0
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
December 24, 2010 12:51:08 PM

"the key was encoded?"

Do you mean hexadecimal characters -- just copy and paste fromthe router interface into a text file then paste into the wireless adapter's user interface.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 2, 2011 12:56:14 AM

My mistake... I mean the password was not readable..just a series of dots.



Quote:
"the key was encoded?"

Do you mean hexadecimal characters -- just copy and paste fromthe router interface into a text file then paste into the wireless adapter's user interface.





m
0
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
January 2, 2011 4:56:03 AM

As per Saga Lout: see manual and just put in a new password.
m
0
l
January 9, 2011 12:21:19 AM

macargyll said:
I followed your very clear instructions about retrieving my Wireless Security Key but found the key was encoded?
Mac



I haven't got a router.
m
0
l
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
January 9, 2011 4:26:40 AM

macargyll said:
I haven't got a router.



Well there's your problem! :D 
m
0
l
January 9, 2011 7:12:16 AM

I don't think so...my other laptop can see my desktop and the laptop which can't see the others---if you get my meaning!
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
January 9, 2011 8:46:17 AM

I'm a bit confused. You don't have a wireless router but your are using wireless and trying to access a secured network.

If, in fact, you are doing what's called an ad hoc connection between two computers you need to read up on ad hoc settings. These are unfamiliar to many people, including myself as I have always used a router to connect computers.

I don't know if you've tried turning off the firewalls on both machines while setting up a connection (of any kind) -- but this is usually essential. Once the connection is established the firewall can be re-enabled.
m
0
l
January 16, 2011 4:16:39 AM

A router isn't necessary to set up a network and of the 3 computers I have in the house two of them see each other just fine so the problem is only with one of them. I should mention that the two computers which 'see' each other also see the first one but can't connect to it - it doesn't see them.
m
0
l
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
January 16, 2011 4:34:01 AM

macargyll said:
A router isn't necessary to set up a network and of the 3 computers I have in the house two of them see each other just fine so the problem is only with one of them. I should mention that the two computers which 'see' each other also see the first one but can't connect to it - it doesn't see them.


This must go back to Fihart's suggestion regarding the firewall - particularly in that one computer which can neither see nor be seen. Has that one ever joined the Network? Are all three firewalls the same?
m
0
l
!