Kodak DX7590 - high speed SD card?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 11, 2005 5:32:04 PM

Hello all,

We are considering purchase of the Kodak DX7590 and have a couple of
questions. First, does this camera accept high speed sd cards (i.e.
sandisk ultra II?) If it accepts these cards, does the speed make a
difference, particular in burst mode?

Secondly, do high speed sd cards require a special high speed reader? Or
will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?

Thank you for your help,
Sarah
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:32:05 PM

Sarah wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are considering purchase of the Kodak DX7590 and have a couple of
> questions. First, does this camera accept high speed sd cards (i.e.
> sandisk ultra II?) If it accepts these cards, does the speed make a
> difference, particular in burst mode?
>
> Secondly, do high speed sd cards require a special high speed reader? Or
> will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Sarah

Perhaps Ron Baird will respond concerning the transfer rates of the
DX7590. Unfortunately, camera companies don't seem to publish these
figures. As for burst mode, the data isn't written to the card until
AFTER the burst. Then it takes a while. The USB 2.0 card reader (if
plugged into a USB 2.0 'hi-speed interface') will transfer far faster
than any flash card can run.

Even if you don't get any speed increase on 'in-camera' functions, the
faster card will load your pictures onto the computer a lot faster.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
March 12, 2005 7:18:34 AM

Thanks, Ron, for your response.

So a high speed card is compatible with the DX7590? and with my ordinary
card reader? In other words, I don't have to have a "special high speed"
card reader in order to read the high speed card?
Thanks,
Sarah

> Sarah wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We are considering purchase of the Kodak DX7590 and have a couple of
>> questions. First, does this camera accept high speed sd cards (i.e.
>> sandisk ultra II?) If it accepts these cards, does the speed make a
>> difference, particular in burst mode?
>>
>> Secondly, do high speed sd cards require a special high speed reader?
>> Or will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?
>>
>> Thank you for your help,
>> Sarah
> Perhaps Ron Baird will respond concerning the transfer rates of the
> DX7590. Unfortunately, camera companies don't seem to publish these
> figures. As for burst mode, the data isn't written to the card until
> AFTER the burst. Then it takes a while. The USB 2.0 card reader (if
> plugged into a USB 2.0 'hi-speed interface') will transfer far faster than
> any flash card can run.
>
> Even if you don't get any speed increase on 'in-camera' functions, the
> faster card will load your pictures onto the computer a lot faster.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
March 12, 2005 7:18:35 AM

Sarah wrote:
> Thanks, Ron, for your response.
>
> So a high speed card is compatible with the DX7590? and with my ordinary
> card reader? In other words, I don't have to have a "special high speed"
> card reader in order to read the high speed card?
> Thanks,
> Sarah

Nope. The one you have will work, if it has a slot for SD/MMC cards.
If you get the DX7590 with a 'dock', then you will probably only use a
card reader when you have a lot of pictures to transfer.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:50:08 PM

Greetings Sarah,

Glad to hear you are considering a Kodak Camera.

Actually, the speed of the card will not matter to the camera as it works at
one speed. A high speed card may be of value, however, if you are using
other devices that accept fast cards. You can make your buying decision
based on that information. As to card readers, I suppose the faster the
better. Although a card reader works on a USB 2.0 port, if you want to take
full advantage of high speed cards you will need a high speed card reader.
Most newer card readers are compatible with USB 2.0 but you will not get the
full advantage unless they are USB HiSpeed. Check this out when you look
for one.

Talk to you soon, and if you have questions about the DX7590 or any other
digital issue I am glad to help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!