Sign in with
Your question

My mouse gets frozen in molasses! Help!

Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2012 5:18:46 PM

So I just built this system. During every session the mouse will freeze, and the sound will lock up in a THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD broken record sound. Often it happens when I´ve walked away, so when I come back and touch the mouse it moves a few inches and locks in place. The only way to get out is by holding down the power button. :cry: 

System Specs:

Asus M5A99X Evo
Phenom II 960T BE
GSkill 4GB DDR3 2133 PC-17000
XFX GeForce 9600GSO 512MB
500W FSP Blue Storm
320GB Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm HDD

More about : mouse frozen molasses

June 23, 2012 9:36:45 PM

I changed the memory speed to ~800mhz and Skryim took longer to break:

It froze with the sound still playing cleanly. The visuals started moving again and I played for 5 minutes without problems.

Then the mouse went rogue. The NPCs kept moving while the mouse tracked to the top of the screen. I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and saw the cursor slide to the top left of the desktop. I couldn´t control it so I used the keyboard to select Skyrim in the Task Manager. The window popped up but locked the entire system, even the keyboard. The music was still playing as I reset the computer.

I has confused...
m
l
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 473 V Motherboard
June 23, 2012 10:14:10 PM

have you installed your mb bios updates..the first bios is rev 0402. there are new cpu code and memory and usb updates for your mb. also have you checked your gpu temps..with the older 9600 card the games may be hitting the card so hard it over heating and locking up. do you have another video card you can test with. i would also uses hardware monitor and watch your cpu and gpu temps.. when you built the system did you download the newest video/mb/sound drivers from the net.
the mb drivers are sometime a few months old. there may be newer amd chipset drivers on amd web page.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 9:21:17 PM

smorizio said:
have you installed your mb bios updates..the first bios is rev 0402. there are new cpu code and memory and usb updates for your mb. also have you checked your gpu temps..with the older 9600 card the games may be hitting the card so hard it over heating and locking up. do you have another video card you can test with. i would also uses hardware monitor and watch your cpu and gpu temps.. when you built the system did you download the newest video/mb/sound drivers from the net.
the mb drivers are sometime a few months old. there may be newer amd chipset drivers on amd web page.

I installed everything this morning, all the drivers and updates from Asus and the newest Nvidia update. I reset the BIOS to default settings.

Skyrim played for about 20 minutes as usual then locked up hard with the THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD loop with static image after I tried to ¨Mine Ore¨.

What if I polished the gpu heatsink then used Arctic Silver 5 to put it back on?
m
l
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 473 V Motherboard
June 24, 2012 11:08:49 PM

i would try turned down the graphice and see if it does not lock up.
m
l
July 2, 2012 5:21:42 AM

I got it fixed.

The video card voltage had to be turned up from 1.1volts to 1.15volts.

Now I can run it all day with max settings and nothing crashes. :sol: 
m
l
!