Question

Does the newly realsead AMD processor really have 400 cores? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=685803&CatId=7239

I may upgrade if it REALLY does :P.
answers
Last reply
More about question
  1. yes, the Radeon HD 6550D iGPU has 400 cores, and the actual CPU has 4.
  2. OH! so is it good?
  3. It's a cheap quad-core CPU mixed with a cheap GPU that go on cheap motherboards, therefore it's only for budget systems and will not even remotely compare to the hardware you probably have already.
  4. tricky tricky, the product info says:
    AMD A8-Series AD3850WNGXBOX Quad-Core A8-3850 APU - 4MB L2 Cache, 2.9GHz, Socket FM1, Radeon HD 6550D (400 Cores), Dual Graphics Ready, DirectX 11, Retail

1st comma: AMD A8-Series AD3850WNGXBOX Quad-Core A8-3850 APU - 4MB L2 Cache
    Define: A 4 core CPU

2nd comma: 2.9GHz
    Define: CPU runs at 2.9GHz (phenom ii x4 955 runs at 3.2 btw)

3rd comma: Socket FM1
    Define: You need the new FM1 Socket else it's like you're trying to run your car on cooking oil

4th comma: Radeon HD 6550D (400 Cores)
    Define: This is the Graphics...it has 400 cores

5th comma: Dual Graphics Ready
    Define: I really don't know, anyone help?

6th comma: DirectX 11
    Define: GPU can handle the newest DirectX

7th comma: Retail
    Define: Box is sparkles and crap...also there is a stock heatsink+fan
  5. the dual graphics are when you pair the on chip graphics with a pre-determined amd videocard in a sort of hybrid crossifire. Doesn't really work in a lot of games though (I think it only works for Directx 11 games) which you probably wouldn't want to play with such low level performance anyway.
  6. holdingholder said:
    the dual graphics are when you pair the on chip graphics with a pre-determined amd videocard in a sort of hybrid crossifire. Doesn't really work in a lot of games though (I think it only works for Directx 11 games) which you probably wouldn't want to play with such low level performance anyway.

Thanks!

So yeah, I (with the help of holding) have explained the product info heading
  7. I have a althon 2 x4 2.9 OC at 3074 (not a high clock I know)

so should I stick with it is it good for upcoming games, my vid card is xfx ati 5770 fully oc with 70% fan.
  8. upgrade to AMD Phenom II x4 955, it's $120 and compatible with your MoBo, (if the MoBo is AM3, which I think the Athlon 2 is)
  9. addison said:
    I have a althon 2 x4 2.9 OC at 3074 (not a high clock I know)

so should I stick with it is it good for upcoming games, my vid card is xfx ati 5770 fully oc with 70% fan.

wouldn't really reccommend upgrading, the difference you will see beetween a athlon II x4 and a phenom 955 would be minimal especially since a 5770 won't give you any bottlenecking on the Athlon.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Processors AMD Systems