Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do I remove thermal paste?

Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2011 10:55:46 AM

How do I remove thermal paste?

Also, is there any trick to separating the cooler plate and cpu? Or do I just go ahead and pull the cooler off?
The reason I ask is because I don't want to ruin my cpu or cooler.

More about : remove thermal paste

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 1, 2011 10:59:12 AM

You can use nail polish remover. Hardware stores sell all kinds of solutions but they're all acetone based from what I've seen (i.e. same as nail polish remover) but cost a lot more. Actually I think any organic solvent is fine.
October 1, 2011 11:01:33 AM

Is there any kind of alcohol solution I should NOT use? lol
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2011 11:02:26 AM

No I think they're all fine.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2011 11:02:51 AM

sometimes its got a really good bond between the cpu and the cooler and just pulling it off can bring the cpu with it --i prefer to take it off when its still warm and use a twisting motion to try to break the seal between them
Score
October 1, 2011 11:11:15 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
sometimes its got a really good bond between the cpu and the cooler and just pulling it off can bring the cpu with it --i prefer to take it off when its still warm and use a twisting motion to try to break the seal between them

Okay cool, I'll take it off after a gaming session :p 

Score
October 1, 2011 11:11:41 AM

Best answer selected by -Sylvan.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2011 12:23:57 PM

Nope, avoid using Nail Polish remover altogether, very bad advice.
Use Isopropyle also called rubbing alcohol. It's available at any chemist or medical store.
DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER.
It contains Acetone which can hard the varnish on the chip if it leaks onto the green PCB that holds the chip(main processor). And is a solvent.

Before jumping to a best answer, you really need to read and wait for other to comment. It will end up misguiding other OPs if you choose a answer which is not actually right.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2011 12:32:50 PM

Why would it leak onto the PCB? Anyway I've been using it for years without problems. I'm sure there are better methods but it works ;) 
Score
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2011 12:46:29 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Why would it leak onto the PCB? Anyway I've been using it for years without problems. I'm sure there are better methods but it works ;) 

You can use Petrol for all I care , it doesn't mean that it is the right thing to use. And it will leak, by leak I don't mean lavish pouring, but the cloth or fiber that that is doused with the liquid is going to touch or slide over the chip, the PCB side, it is going to have a negative effect.

You have been very lucky if nothing has happened to your stuff until now, is all I can say. I'd suggest google a little on PCB making (DIY) mostly and you'll see what is used to cover a copper plate when we draw circuits on them.
Score
October 1, 2011 1:20:58 PM

I have used an Arctic Silver product called " Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier" and have never had a problem. (available @ the Egg for about US $10) The two bottles each contain 30ml, enough to last many years of replacing CPUs.
Score
October 1, 2011 1:45:00 PM

Guys simple alcohol that you use for wounds is just fine it is sold in all medical stores even in kiosks and I am using it for years with np
Score
October 2, 2011 9:01:47 PM

Thanks guys
Score
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2012 2:35:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!