*Purchasing Today* - Web Development Machine for under $800

mtb286

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I'm a web developer and am planning to build a system for work. I'll use the machine as:

1. A development machine - Always used programs include - Windows 7, Outlook, Visual Studio, Sql Server Manager, Lots of web browser windows
Occasionally used programs include - IIS, Photoshop, Flash, MS Office, MySQL Workbench
2. A Test server - Programs include IIS 7, SQL Server, MySql and the computer will always be on

I frequently work remote so will probably remote desktop to the computer 50% of the time.

Approximate Purchase Date: Today

Budget Range: $600-800 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Development machine (quickly open and efficiently run programs), Test Server

Parts Not Required: I have all external peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitors)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

I would like to include an SSD drive.

Note: I had a similar post before and genghiskron recommended a great build but unfortunately most of the deals have expired. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=314116&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

jeroly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
For your compiles you'll appreciate having as fast a processor as you can afford. Why not spend the extra bucks and get a 2500k or 2600k, along with an aftermarket HS/F, and overclock it?

I'd get a smaller ssd, perhaps 64GB for $100 or so. You really only will get a benefit from using it as a system disk and loading software, and your visual studio, outlook and SQL Server can probably all fit on it too. Even if they don't you only will see a difference when you start up the app.

For running virtual machines (a great platform for your test server(s) etc.) you'll appreciate a lot of memory so get 16GB of RAM now that it's almost free ($120 on newegg today)

I'd also spend more on a power supply to get a solid base for your system - who knows what you may want to add on to it in the future e.g. a RAID array, discrete graphics, etc.

Along the lines of, say, the following...

motherboard $180
case $75
hdd 60
ssd 100
2500k 220
16GB RAM 120
psu $120
HSF $50
cd/dvd $25

total $950

PS if you need 24x7 uptime on those servers you're also going to want to get a decent UPS for another $100 or so.