aliasautumn

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
To avoid a wall of text:
I ordered parts for a build before, ended up with one fried motherboard, then a faulty one after that. After waiting for a refund on my parts, I'm not about to put a new order in for parts. This build with be used for some light gaming, though I plan on designing something that can handle video encoding/editing, as well as room for plenty of expandability.

Parts I have:
-Gellid Tranquillo CPU Cooler
-2 x 2 GB Ripjaws 1333 RAM
-Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD

Parts I'm ordering:
-Intel i5 2500k CPU
-ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard*
-Sony 24X SATA DVD Burner
-Coolermaster HAF 912 Case
-Corsair TX750 v2 PSU

*Not the Asrock Extreme4 z68 due to the lack of availability from Amazon

I am opting not to get a graphics card yet, due to a lack of funds. However, I'm planning to pick up a 560 Ti sometime in the coming month, as well as a second 560 Ti and an SSD the month after that. Currently I am in need of a new PC, and thus the rush for a build.

I was just wondering about how compatible these parts are, as well as any suggestions/changes/comments. Thank you. :)

striker410

Distinguished
Sounds like you've had a bad experience! I'm sorry about that.

But anyway, on to the parts.

-Keep the 2500k for sure.

-The P8Z68 is an expensive board. I would prefer a Gigabyte, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00518M74I/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1309886573&sr=8-2&condition=new It's one of the more high end gigabyte boards, so it has the same features of the Asus. You can get an even cheaper one if you want.

-Keep the HAF, I love the look of that case. Excellent value.

-Save $20 with this PSU: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-EarthWatts-ATX12v-Power-Supply/dp/B001QZMBEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309886814&sr=8-1 Don't be put off by the less than glamorous picture, It's just as good.

May I ask what HDD you plan on getting?

aliasautumn

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Hmmm, what other recommendations do you have for z68 boards then? The one you linked was out of stock from Amazon, and would take "1 to 3 weeks". I simply went off what I saw on this site and the P8Z68 had good reviews on Amazon, which was why I chose it.

As for PSU, it's not something I really care for saving money on. Everyone has said that you need a solid PSU, so I don't mind spending a bit more on it. I plan on investing quite a bit into this build as time pasts, as hopefully it will last me four to five years with consistent upgrades. I was wondering if an HX750 would be worth the money, to minimize clutter.

Regards to your question about a hard drive, I have a 1TB Spinpoint already, and will likely buy an SSD as a boot drive later on, which is the reason I opted for a z68 board.

striker410

Distinguished

aliasautumn

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Well, after the whole incident with two bad motherboards, I have come to love Amazon's return policy. The whole process is quite painless. Also, I save a significant amount on tax as I live in California. I don't mind ordering from Newegg honestly, I'm just unsure of their return policy if I get unlucky again. >.<

For the motherboard you posted, is it just me or is there no support of integrated graphics?

What would you recommend if I were to order from Newegg then?

Thanks for taking the time to help by the way. :)

Newegg's got great customer service. That's one of the things they pride themselves on. I have dealt with them personally and they are pretty quick to resolve any problems you have. Taxes suck though :(

The Gigabyte Z68 UD3H and UD3P are both great boards and should have the integrated GPU. Like striker said, you don't need Z68 specifically for the SSD, only the caching feature. You'll get more use out of it as a boot drive, IMHO.

The HX750 is considered Corsair's "bad egg." It's really the only PSU that not a ton of people recommend. Plus, you'll be using almost all of the cables on the 750TX with both GPUs. You'll only have 1 or 2 spare SATA/Molex cables.

striker410

Distinguished
Slaps forhead
Good catch, it's not a true Z68, but a fixed one.
For your price bracket, I would suggest this one right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512&cm_re=z68-_-13-128-512-_-Product It's a more expenive model, but it has every feature you could need!
If you don't need 12 USB ports on the back (lol) and don't have a 7.1 stereo system, I would recommend this one right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502&cm_re=z68-_-13-128-502-_-Product

aliasautumn

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
How is there return policy though? For Amazon, I simply put the items back in the box that they came in, and shipped them back to Amazon, instead of the manufacturer.

So would you recommend those two boards over the Asrock Extreme 4 or Asus P8Z68 Pro?

Really now? Overlockers forum has nothing but good to say about the PSU, and Newegg had solid reviews too. Hmmm...

Well, let me clarify in saying that the 750HX is the only one I've heard bad things about; all of the other ones are solid. I have no idea why though. Different OEM??

Newegg's return policy is good from what I hear (I know you send it back to them), but I've never dealt with their returns personally. My friend bought a P67 motherboard right before the SATA issue was discovered, and he called them and shipped the item back to them.

The ASRock Extreme4 and P8Z68 Pro are good boards as well. We're just listing options for the sake of having options. They're all on par with one another; just find one that has the features you want.

aliasautumn

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I think I'm going to go with the TX750 then, seeing how it's also $30 less.

I'm considering the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 right now, due to the $80 between it and the Asus P8Z68 Pro. Some of the reviews for it are a bit disconcerting though.