System Not Recognising Memory.

WickerMan_87

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
So I built PC earlier this week, got everything up and running fine. Last night Windows told me to restart my computer to install an update. I set the machine to shut down and it began installing the update. About 20 seconds into this, I got a blue screen stating windows has stopped to prevent damage to your computer and that it was dumping memory or something. I hit the reset button on my case and that's where all the trouble started. The moniter wouldn't detect a connection and I got no beeps for the POST. The system was powered up and the fans running at full pelt, but that was it. It just wouldn't boot. Not even into the BIOS. I read online that it could be a memory problem so I started messing around with the RAM(I have 4 x 4GB DDR3. As I was doing this I got a burning smell so I took all the RAM sticks out. One of the pins on one of the sticks broke somehow(maybe I had put one of them in the wrong way in all the confusion of my situation). There doesn't seem to be damage to the RAM sockets. I have had to reinstall windows.

What I am left with now is three RAM sticks. I have them connected but both the BIOS and Windows will only recognise 8GB in total. It's doesn't seem to recognise the third stick. I have ordered another indentical 4GB stick of RAM in the hope that this will solve the issue. Is there a reason why my comp won't regognise the third stick? I have tried connecting it to each of the DIMM sockets :\ Do they have to be installed in pairs?

Also, anybody know why my computer blue screened in the first place? As I said, eveything was fine more or less up until that point.

Appreciate the help in advance!

WickerMan_87

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
So I've rejigged all the modules around and it's regognising the third RAM module. I'm now running 12GB RAM. I've ordered another 4GB RAM module to get me back to 16GB. It seems to be identical to the other three I have. Will it work with them.

Also, is 16GB RAM overkill for gaming?

Generally 8 gigs is fine for gaming, that is very little increase in performance over 8 gigs.

That said, I did not see where you tested your rm.
Highly recommend you do either:
1) down load memtest86 iso, create a Bootable CD and run memtest for at least 6 Hours, or
2) down load Prime 95 (since you can now boot to windows) and run prime 95 for at least 4 Hours. NOT: monitor your cpu temps for the first 15 minutes to make sure your HSF is doing a good jub keeping your CPU at a reasonable temp.

WickerMan_87

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Ok thanks I'll try them. In the mean time I've ordered another RAM module. This was the pack that I bought initially.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ddr3_modules/20071406/corsair_dimm_16_gb_1600_mhz__pc3_12800/details.aspx

I have now bought this product to replace the damaged module:

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ddr3_modules/20079417/corsair_vengeance_4_gb_1600_mhz_pc3_12800/details.aspx

Both products appear to be indentical in specs so I'm hoping I can add this module to my other three that are currently installed. The only difference seems to be the colour of the heat spreaders. Will it work for me?

Cheers.

Just to mention, Didn't see MB/CPU.
For SB CPU DDR3-1600 will void Intel CPU warrantee ( But if CPU fails it depends on who you talk to to get the RMA). For Intel SB DDR3-1333 is the spec, for IB the spec is DDR3-1600. Intels standard warrantee dos not cover OC, and for SB since Meery controller is on die DDR3-1600 is considered an OC. Intel sells a OC warraqntee, ie for i5-2500K it is $25

PS, I'm running DDR3-1600 CL7 with my i5-2500k and HAVE NOT bought the OC Warrentee.

WickerMan_87

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Ok, my CPU is an Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHZ. Motherboard is ASUS P9X79. So 1600mhz of memory is considered an overclock with intel? Didn't know that. It should run ok though right? I thought 1600mhz seemed to be good. Seen some at 1866mhz. Does it make much of a difference?

WickerMan_87

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Ok, appreciate all the help this far. I'm back to 16GB RAM (4x4GB). Says it should run at 1600Mhz but in the bios it is only listed t 1333Mhz. Why is this? Do I need to overclock it somehow myself? Is there much of a difference between the two speeds anyway?

Cheers!

1333 is just what it defaults to. You can either do it manually (set the speed and timings) or select the XMP profile in the BIOS. As far as difference in speed, no there's not much (none in the real world, really), but since it's 1600 RAM, you might as well use it like that.