Sign in with
Your question

ASROCK P67 Extreme4 Gen3 PCIe 3.0 slot not detecting GPU

Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2012 9:23:36 PM

Greetings,

I recently bought a P67 Extreme4 Gen3 mobo and bought a Radeon 6850 HD gpu along with the new i5-3550.

I already updated the BIOS chip to run the new Ivy Bridge although when I try to put the GPU in a 3.0 slot it does not work. Although it does work in the 2.0 slot, only issue is it is in the last lane so my Case prevents it from fitting. Whenever I plug it into the PICe 3.0 slot the Dr Debugger gives me a d6 (No Console Output Devices are found. - ASROCK booklet) error code. It is becoming more and more frustrating as for I had high hopes for this mobo. I already returned one thinking it was an issue with the P67 Extreme4 Gen3 but doesn't seem to be so.

I called tech for ASROCK and they can't help me for the life of themselves. I have gone through the "No Display" list thingy and to no avail I am stuck.

Many thanks in advanced.
June 25, 2012 2:15:06 AM

Anyone?
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 25, 2012 2:34:34 AM

Hi there,

Did u plug in the power for the GPU card?
Related resources
July 9, 2012 12:54:32 AM

I have this same issue. Video card works fine if plugged into bottom PCI slot but won't work in the top two. But I don't have room to run it in the case plugged into the bottom pci slot.
July 9, 2012 5:32:44 AM

rbondal said:
Greetings,

I recently bought a P67 Extreme4 Gen3 mobo and bought a Radeon 6850 HD gpu along with the new i5-3550.

I already updated the BIOS chip to run the new Ivy Bridge although when I try to put the GPU in a 3.0 slot it does not work. Although it does work in the 2.0 slot, only issue is it is in the last lane so my Case prevents it from fitting. Whenever I plug it into the PICe 3.0 slot the Dr Debugger gives me a d6 (No Console Output Devices are found. - ASROCK booklet) error code. It is becoming more and more frustrating as for I had high hopes for this mobo. I already returned one thinking it was an issue with the P67 Extreme4 Gen3 but doesn't seem to be so.

I called tech for ASROCK and they can't help me for the life of themselves. I have gone through the "No Display" list thingy and to no avail I am stuck.

Many thanks in advanced.

i have had this same problem. plug it in for the bottom slot first and while you have it running, update your bios to the newest version and then switch ur video card to the top slot. should help.
September 11, 2012 4:40:49 PM

I was unable to access the ASRock P67 Extreme4 GEN3 UEFI BIOS Support module,
on my new system with a SAPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 1 GB 128bit video card in the PCI E.
The motherboard Dr Debug LED displays code 36, post memory System Management Mode Initialization.
The SAPHIRE Radeon video card does not display to the video monitor, using DVI cable connection.

This is new system just being built and configured, no OS on a Seagate 1 TB Barracuda SATA HDD
The Power Supply Unit is a RaidMax RX-530SS, 530 Watt power supply.

I did try another Radeon PCI Video card, and moving DDR Ram modules 2x8GB to slots 1 + 3, also with just 1 DDR in slot 1.
No Video display, Dr Debug LED displays code 36.
We tried many things and were unsuccessful, until I found this review:
Motherboard Review: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 | fossline: kdubois.net/?p=1336

In this review we found that our I7 Sandy bridge CPU does not support the PCI Express 3.0.
We took another PCI Radeon card and put it in the PCI 2.0 slot and it suddenly works.
Now we have to return the I7 Sandy Bridge and find an I7 that supports PCI Express 3.0

This was a break through for us, hope this helps.
September 19, 2012 8:26:42 PM

Are are now multiple threads about it. People are asking is there is BIOS fix for 6xxx cards to make them work with Z77

I bought Z77 AsRock Pro3. It has Z77 chipset with PCIe 3.
The board would POST only if I set PCIe2 to "Gen 1" and with any minimal overclock I had to change CPU voltage (lower it or increase it either one worked).
However AMD catalyst drivers would not recognize 6870 or claim that 6870 is not working right when PCIe2 is "Gen 1".

I build my own computers since AMD 40MHz. Never saw such incompatibility before.

I looked over newegg reviews for many Z77 based motherboards (up to $150).
Eventually someone would write about same kind of problem their graphic card (PCI2 based). Usually motherboard would not POST or is not recognized in Windows.
It is not 6870 that has a problem - lots of other fairly new graphic cards are incompatible too.
Some people tried 3 motherboards already.
!