Sign in with
Your question

System Build Help

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2011 5:33:59 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: I don't know yet.

Budget Range: 1,000$ MAX 1,200$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching Movies, Surfing the Net.

Parts Not Required: Nothing is required expect the PC itself.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Directcanada.com (charges only 5% outside BC)

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel / nVidia

Overclocking: Yes - 4GHz

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I recently decided on building a new PC to run those upcoming games such as Battlefield 3, CoD Modern Warfare 3, Elder Scroll V - Skyrim. My main intention is Gaming and I'm careless about video rendering or photoshop blabla.

Here is my specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz (going to overclock @ 4.0GHz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-UD3

Memory (RAM): G-Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz 2x2 4GB

Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Fermi 1280MB

Hard Drive: Western Digital Cavier Black 1TB 7200RPM 6GB/s 64MB Cache

Case: CoolerMaster Scout

CPU Heatsink: CoolerMaster V8

DVD Writer: ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X

Power Supply: OCZ Falat1ty Series 750W (Is this enough?)

After days of reviews on the net, I've came with this build to be kick-a$$. If some of you disagreeing with me, please explain why I should change my build and with what I should replace it.

My questions is: Is there any component mentioned above unnecessary or needs to be changed? I want the very Price/Performance PC and ALSO if you can see, the components are the same color. I want to keep this RED LED so please if you think I should change something, I want it to be RED. :]

PS. 4GB or 8GB??

BUDGET is 1,000$ without taxes and shippment. 1,200$ MAX

More about : system build

July 5, 2011 5:40:51 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forums.
Nice build! You did a good job.

Can you please fill in this form? It gives us the info we need to help you out: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... I'll get back to you on that ;) 

and the thing that stands out like a sore thumb is the CM V8. From what I hear, it's not worth it. You'd be better off with the $30 CM Hyper 212+ if you are only overclocking to 4GHz. The 212+ can get you up to 4.5GHz easily if you ever feel the need.

And 4GB is fine, but if you see 8GB on sale (like this stuff for $55 if you buy today http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) then snatch it. Anything <$60 is a good deal.

Hope that helps!
July 5, 2011 5:57:17 PM

CM Hyper 212+ is a nice cooler. But I do keep in mind the looks of the Heatsink. It has a cheap look to it and it also has one 120MM fan.

The V8 has two 120MM fan with adjustable RPM. It has little red LEDs on it which makes it even more appealing. The price of these two products are slightly different. The V8 is not that bad though. I think i'll stick with it.

After all when I want a PC, I want it 60%/40% Performace/Look (inside included)
Related resources
July 5, 2011 6:00:37 PM

Actually, the Hyper 212+ is half the price. Newegg is overcharging for it, it's $30 on amazon.

And the V8 actually only has a single 120MM fan, the same as the Hyper 212+. The Hyper also has adjustable RPM.

And while it may look "cheap" It gets the job done. It probably even cools better, since it has copper heatpipes instead of the aluminium ones found on the V8.
July 5, 2011 6:10:07 PM

Oh! Sorry for the wrong information.. I had the V6GT in mind which I can't fit in my case.

Ok, it is the Hyper 212+ then.

Liquid cooling is nice too. I thought about the Corsair H50. Is it worth it for the price? 76$
July 5, 2011 6:14:17 PM

You don't have to go with the Hyper, it's just what I would pick :D 
Here's an awesome resource for heatsinks: http://www.frostytech.com/ It's like Tom's, but they do heatsinks exclusively!

I don't know about the Corsair. Since you only plan on OCing to 4.0GHz, about any cooler would work fine lol.
July 5, 2011 6:20:12 PM

Ok I've searched the site you gave me. The top 5 heatsink for Intel are HUMONGOUS! Can they even fit in my case? And also not to exceed the 65$ for a air cooling heatsink.

PS. The OCZ Fatal1ty Series 750W.. Good choice? or should i go with the Corsair 750W... costs more :'[
!