Lights on Inside but wont power up

bigrikk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hello all,

I built my rig just over 8 weeks ago and its been running fine and last night I switched it off and went out as usual. Came back to find that it won't boot. I have it open and the motherboard P8Z68 V-PRO board shows the power light and the reset button with power. When pressing the power button the top case fan turns a quarter turn and stops and the lights stay as they are and nothing else happens. There is obviously a fault here but don't know what it is at present. Any ideas before I get onto the place that supplied me with the parts.

Thanks

Rikk

Rig
Haff 922 case
Intel I5 2500k
Asus P8 Z68-VPRO Motherboard
Radeon HD 6950 2gb 5000Mhz GPU
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB hard Drive
Corsair TX 750 Power Supply
8gb Corsair Vengence Ram
Dark Rock Be Quiet Advanced Fan
Sony DVD RW

bigrikk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the guide done everything in it and checked and had literally done everything spot on the first time, ie built properly, this system has been working fine with no issue for 6 weeks.

I have also looked inside the power supply and there is a burning smell and a load of white glue like residue (PVA like). I also put the power supply on an old pc and it did the same as with this. I fired up my old pc off the old power supply and it ran fine so from this I think I can deduct that it is the power supply thats gone bang.

With regards to this and the system I am running about 750w should be more than enough for this system?

Regards

Rikk and thanks for the help.