Protect computer during power outages

Corey_J

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
So the power shuts on and off in my apartment at least once a week. It's only off for ~30sec at most before it turns back on. This happened last night and when my computer turned back on I heard one continuous beep and three short beeps - no VGA found, so I think it toasted my video card. I got three years out of it, but I'd like this not to be a problem in the future.

What is the best way to prevent my computer from being damaged? Surge protector? UPS? Something else??

Thanks!
Corey

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Most computers (even with 800 watt supplies) consume less than 200 watts and rarely approach 300 watts. Therefore that UPS is sufficient. But a UPS is made so cheaply as to only have a battery life expectancy of three years. In those three years, the battery quickly degrades. So your 200 watt system may need a 300 or 400 watt UPS so that is can supply sufficient power three years later.

The UPS is doing one task. To provide temporary and 'dirty' power during a blackout. That UPS battery may provide sufficient power three years later for most systems. Or may not if the system is slightly more power hungry.