Sign in with
Your question

Core temp or cpu temp?

Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2011 3:58:15 PM

Hello everybody! I've been trying to find out which temp to monitor (core or cpu) and I've been seeing nothing, but conflicting opinions and am trying to find a definitive answer. My cpu is a phenom II 1055T and the rated max safe temp for it is 62C. While running prime95 blend test for about 1 hour my core temperature reaches 47C max and my cpu temperature reaches 63C. I've been using both HWMonitor and AMD Overdrive to check the temps. Which temperature should I been monitoring?:D 

Relevant specs:
CPU: Phenom II 1055T (OC to 3.9Ghz)
Mobo: m4a89gtd pro
Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

More about : core temp cpu temp

a c 126 à CPUs
October 1, 2011 6:30:03 PM

Honestly, its hard to say. AMD doesn't make it clear but I would suppose that the CPU temp is more important than the Core temp.

But normally you should have 6 core temps, basically showing the temp of all 6 processing cores, and then a overall CPU temp.

My Q6600 shows core 0, core 1, core 2 and core 3 and then CPU.

Still 63c is kinda high, especially for that after market cooler you have. If so check it to make sure its seated properly. Most Phenom II X6s stay around 50c at stock with stock cooling.
m
l
October 1, 2011 6:36:08 PM

I own a laptop with the Athlon X2 processor, and to be honest, they run SUPER hot. Mine idles at 60 and maxes out to as high as 90!! Imo, your processor can lower the temps with an after market cooler, even a $15-20 cooler would do the job than the stock AMD coolers. However, I always make note of the highest temp of the core, instead of the average temp over the different cores.
m
l
Related resources
a c 138 à CPUs
October 1, 2011 6:44:35 PM

How high your speed clock and voltage ?
m
l
October 1, 2011 7:07:17 PM

I have it overclocked to 3.9Ghz at 1.37 volts. My idle temps are cpu 40c and all six cores are 26c. I've reseated the heatsink 3 times and the temps stay the same.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
October 1, 2011 8:41:03 PM

If it shows that low then I wonder if your temp sensor is bad. If the cores are running at 26c each then I doubt the rest of the CPU would run hot enough to push it up 14c more, especially when idle.

Have you tried using Coretemp to check the temps?
m
l
October 1, 2011 8:55:54 PM

Yeah, CoreTemp reads at 26c also. I was wondering if the censor on the motherboard was bad as well.
m
l
October 1, 2011 11:56:36 PM

Boot into the bios, and check what your idle temps are in system monitor. If they are fluctuating like the ones in the monitoring softwares, then the mobo temp sensors are to blame. If not, it could be that the software counterpart are not able to interact with the temp monitor on the die itself. Try using other utilities to see if they are giving the same results, and if they are, try downclocking your processor to lets say stock, and see how the temps go under prime95
m
l
October 2, 2011 12:31:56 AM

The cpu temp in the bios didn't change from 42c at 2.8 to 3.9. It just sits at 42. In HWMonitor the core dropped from 26c to 22c and the cpu dropped from 41c to 38c when changing from the 3.9 OC to stock setting.
m
l
October 3, 2011 5:18:06 AM

Okay, now try to run Prime95 for about 5-10 minutes and see what the temps go to in your stock frequencies. if they are under the max temps according to the reference, then its the overclock that making the temps go overdrive, as you would assume yourself. I would say if that is the case, and you want to keep those overclock settings, a better after market cooler would do, or try to get a different thermal compound, and try to fiddle around with your rear fan. Lets say that if you have a top 200 mm fan in your case, turn the rear fan so that it intakes air. I did that to my heatsink along with ceramique thermal compound and my q6600 3.54 Ghz temps went from 52 C idle and 72 C load to 42 C idle and 64 C load. But again, Intel and AMD use different temp readings (its easier with intel imo)
m
l
October 3, 2011 5:40:17 AM

67c is safe...
m
l
October 4, 2011 3:40:05 AM

@badboyzar - I tried prime95 at the stock settings and it didn't seem to make much of a difference as far as the cpu temp so I guess when I get some free time I'll try your advice and turn the fan around and see how much of a difference that makes. Though from everything I've read the cpu temp is supposed to be lower than the actual core temp so I also think there's a good chance that the censor for the cpu temp is bad and just not showing correctly seeing as how the core temp censor is located directly on the die itself.

@cpu_99 - From everything I've read in different forums and from AMD's site itself it says that the maximum safe temp is 62c.
m
l
!