Solved

Hardware compatability

I am about to build a new full tower for use in video editing with Avid Studio. Right now I am planning to use:

Lian-Li PC-A70F case,
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe MB,
I7-2600K CPU,
GTX 460 2Gb GPU,
850 watt PSU,
16 Gb RAM,
4x 2Gb WD Black HDD
2 monitors,
CPU cooler,
2x DVD burners
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E audio,
Win 7 Professional

Does anyone see any problems with this combination?
Not sure about the RAM (maybe G Skill 1600), or the cooler.
It needs to be a quiet desktop, so no overclocking.

Larrys640
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hardware compatability
  1. Best answer
    Ahh, a nice build.
    Well the first thing I see is the GTX 460 2GB. Why 2GB? I assume it's a requirement for Avid?
    -You don't need the 850w PSU. A 500w or 650w would be more than capable for a single card.
    -I assume you meant 4x2TB, not GB?

-You don't need a sound card. It's not necessary, especially with the 7.1 audio available on the mobo.

And you can overclock, but still have a quiet desktop! For sure! Just need a good cooler.

And that case is MASSIVE, you might consider a smaller one.....
  2. striker410 said:
    Ahh, a nice build.
    Well the first thing I see is the GTX 460 2GB. Why 2GB? I assume it's a requirement for Avid?
    -You don't need the 850w PSU. A 500w or 650w would be more than capable for a single card.
    -I assume you meant 4x2TB, not GB?

-You don't need a sound card. It's not necessary, especially with the 7.1 audio available on the mobo.

And you can overclock, but still have a quiet desktop! For sure! Just need a good cooler.

And that case is MASSIVE, you might consider a smaller one.....

You are right about the 4x 2Tb HDDs. I get tongue tied when I talk about configurations.
    I willl check about needing a sound card. We have it on both of our Antec 128s with core2quad CPUs and 512Mb GPUs.
    I just upgraded our #1 tower that has a GT 9800 to Win7 64 bit and 8 Gig of RAM.
    We had been complaining about slow rendering times, so I did that upgrade from Vista 32 Bit and 4 Gig of RAM.
    Much better times, but not good enough.
    I know video rendering is Memory hungry, and CPU speed oriented, with 2 monitors coming and the plan on setting up CUDA,
    I thought 2 Gig of GDDR5 would help, along with 16 Gig of Memory.
    I didn't want the PSU to labor with all the HDDs, internal, and the other external storage we connect as needed.
    I will check the case, again, but we thought an upgrade from the Antec 182s would be good. We have plenty of desk space.

Thanks for the reponse, and input,

Larrys640
  3. Best answer selected by larrys640.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems