Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hardware compatability

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2011 6:29:02 PM

I am about to build a new full tower for use in video editing with Avid Studio. Right now I am planning to use:

Lian-Li PC-A70F case,
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe MB,
I7-2600K CPU,
GTX 460 2Gb GPU,
850 watt PSU,
16 Gb RAM,
4x 2Gb WD Black HDD
2 monitors,
CPU cooler,
2x DVD burners
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E audio,
Win 7 Professional

Does anyone see any problems with this combination?
Not sure about the RAM (maybe G Skill 1600), or the cooler.
It needs to be a quiet desktop, so no overclocking.

Larrys640

More about : hardware compatability

Best solution

July 5, 2011 7:09:16 PM

Ahh, a nice build.
Well the first thing I see is the GTX 460 2GB. Why 2GB? I assume it's a requirement for Avid?
-You don't need the 850w PSU. A 500w or 650w would be more than capable for a single card.
-I assume you meant 4x2TB, not GB?

-You don't need a sound card. It's not necessary, especially with the 7.1 audio available on the mobo.

And you can overclock, but still have a quiet desktop! For sure! Just need a good cooler.

And that case is MASSIVE, you might consider a smaller one.....
July 5, 2011 11:21:48 PM

striker410 said:
Ahh, a nice build.
Well the first thing I see is the GTX 460 2GB. Why 2GB? I assume it's a requirement for Avid?
-You don't need the 850w PSU. A 500w or 650w would be more than capable for a single card.
-I assume you meant 4x2TB, not GB?

-You don't need a sound card. It's not necessary, especially with the 7.1 audio available on the mobo.

And you can overclock, but still have a quiet desktop! For sure! Just need a good cooler.

And that case is MASSIVE, you might consider a smaller one.....

You are right about the 4x 2Tb HDDs. I get tongue tied when I talk about configurations.
I willl check about needing a sound card. We have it on both of our Antec 128s with core2quad CPUs and 512Mb GPUs.
I just upgraded our #1 tower that has a GT 9800 to Win7 64 bit and 8 Gig of RAM.
We had been complaining about slow rendering times, so I did that upgrade from Vista 32 Bit and 4 Gig of RAM.
Much better times, but not good enough.
I know video rendering is Memory hungry, and CPU speed oriented, with 2 monitors coming and the plan on setting up CUDA,
I thought 2 Gig of GDDR5 would help, along with 16 Gig of Memory.
I didn't want the PSU to labor with all the HDDs, internal, and the other external storage we connect as needed.
I will check the case, again, but we thought an upgrade from the Antec 182s would be good. We have plenty of desk space.

Thanks for the reponse, and input,

Larrys640
m
l
July 13, 2011 9:20:18 AM

Best answer selected by larrys640.
m
l
!