Brand New GeForce GTX 470 - Underperforming in 25-man raids (WoW)

Maveros

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
First off, thank you for taking the time to read my thread. Yesterday I purchased and installed a GeForce GTX 470 (manufactured by Sparkle). I started by uninstalling my old ATI drivers through the Device Manager, and then installing the card and downloading the latest NVIDIA drivers from the website. Shortly after, I opened World of Warcraft excited to see my new card pump out well over 60 FPS on Ultra, but when I enabled Sunshafts... WoW froze, then white-screened, and the video card crashed telling me "Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 270.61 has stopped working and has successfully recovered." This happened repeatedly, so I found a post about the 260.99 version of the drivers being better, and I uninstalled the 270.61 and installed the 260.99. However, I still had the issue of WoW freezing when I enabled Sunshafts, but the video card driver didn't crash.

After this I decided to just roll with everything on the highest settings with the exception of Sunshafts which were disabled, Liquid Detail which was on low, and Shadows which were on good. In Orgrimmar I was getting around 90 FPS with a few people sitting by me, but only 65-75 in a populated area. Later that night I raided (25-man), and I was getting around 75 FPS while NOT in combat... as soon as I entered combat, I would hover around 40-45 FPS and spike as low as 25-30. To counteract this I put shadows on low, reduced my multisampling to 1x, my texture filtering to bilinear, and I even put my particle density on good. However, I only saw about a 5 FPS improvement from all of this.

My previous card, a Radeon 5770, was performing better in a 25-man raid than my card did last night. At the end of the raid, I decided to try enabling Directx11 by editing the config file, and it resulted in a loss of about 10 FPS, so I removed it. However, after removing it, I no longer had issues with enabling Sunshafts. As of right now, I'm running on the latest driver (270.61) which is working without crashing, but still giving me sub-par FPS.

Long story short, this card should be more than capable of handling WoW. To be honest I really don't know what could be causing this, and I'd appreciate any help.

Below is a list of my system's specs:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (Sparkle)
Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM
700 watt Power Supply
Windows 7 64-bit

THINGS I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:

updating/rolling back drivers
enabling directx11 in the config.wtf file

Raiding often results in lower fps, but not always related to the graphics card, but often due to the CPU. You have a lot more people to track when in a raid, as well as more bandwidth over the internet.

You might want to OC your CPU a bit. WoW is known for wanting a high CPU speeds. Not so much more cores, but more hz.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Probably there should be a sticky describing the correct method for changing video drivers. Did you use Driver Sweeper or another type cleaner? Your system should run WOW very well at stock. Providing that all your components are working correctly I would think one of two things the video driver is not fully and correctly installed and or the internet connection may not be passing the data at the rate you need.

Maveros

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I used Driversweeper to uninstall the ATI Drivers before installing the NVIDIA driver, and I did it in safemode as well. As far as my internet goes, I have Time Warner Wideband; 50mbps down, 5mbps up and I average 30-40ms. I'm aware that my system should run WoW very well, hence why I'm annoyed. My CPU cores are at 72-73 degrees while sitting in Orgrimmar and at about 75 while doing a 10-man raid. I feel like I'm reaching here, but maybe the cores are overheating during 25-man encounters? There has to be some explanation for why raids are too much for my system to handle.

Like I said before, WoW like processor speed. Unfortunately your temps are high. Your CPU should be in the 60's under load, not the 70's, although I don't believe it's at a point that it will hinder performance.

I would definitely get an aftermarket heat sink.

You will have better temps, and be able to OC the CPU a little. I run my 920 at 3.4, but most people seem to easily get them to 3.5 or higher.

I know you have a great processor and all, but when you have graphical details up, it will use a bit more CPU power. WoW is known to like high speed CPU's, and stock i7 920 clocks are slow.

Jarre

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I know this is a few month old post but I thought I’d necro it because I’m having similar issues. I have a i5-2500 sandy bridge processor, nvidia GTX 570 GPU, 8 gb RAM, running wow in directx11 and my PC struggles to get good FPS in Org and in raids. My computer should be more than capable of WoW on ultra, however in Firelands (newest raid) my FPS hovers at 30-45 on most fights and plummets to 15-20 everytime there’s a lot of activity (or grouping up) going on at once. This is bothering me greatly and I feel both frustrated and helpless on the matter. Any assistance would be appreciated.

#sudo su
#rm -rf /

Oh wait...

@topic

Are you running recount by any chance? Even more, are you running any add on? I'm sure you have DBM at least and prolly healbot.

Also, enable vertical sync. It will fix your FPS'es to 60Hz (most prolly), but you won't have that mix of performance issues at all. I personally dislike shadow, for example, so I leave it at "normal". Maybe you could play with that in raids, since think about that it has to project shadows for 25 people or more with a lot of light effects around. Besides, it's one of the most useless effects the game has (mostly doesn't provide any good looking visible effect and takes a lot of GPU) IMO.

If I think of more, I'll post it right away.

Cheers!

EDIT: Didn't notice the posting dates XD!

Try lowering shadows and particle effects. Those 2 improve a LOT the performance.