Good antivirus and antitrojan, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eminemvanillaice

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I bought a laptop recently from bestbuy and the geek squad told me to get norton 360 or mcafee as a virus protection. i do not know if they are any good. so far i got avg free on my pc. what free antivirus protections would you recommend i get. after usung my pc for a couple days, i noticed Win 7 Internet Security 2012 thing pop up and said i was infected. it pisses me off because it makes me buy the damn program. i can still use the internet though.
but which antivirus and antitrojans wqould u recommend i get and how can i remove that win 7 internet virus.
i forgot to mention that avg did not seem to detect that win7 virus because i did a full scan and its still there.

G

I've been using NOD32 for years and never had problem with viruses in my life. :) CCleaner and Spybot - Search & Destroy are also good programs.

Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes, both free, both easy to use, nither one advertises, and they stay out of the way unless there is a problem.

MSE v4 will be coming out soon which will be greatly improved and include anti-malware definitions finally (meaning potentially no need for malwarebytes any longer)

While an avid promoter of free stuff..... there is that saying, ya get what ya pay for. Most vendors seem to be a bit loose on their payment structure. For example, look at Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite and you'll see it costs $40 for 3 PC's for a year. After the 30 days is up you will get a nag screen but after a short while you will get e-mails dropping the price further and further.

I let it expire and then wait till the price gets low enough before re-upping....think it was $29.95 for 5 PC's when I last re-upped. Another one I have had good success with is Bitdefender. I prefer the all in one malware-firewall-AV suites so i don't have to manage 3 programs and, with the free ones, do the manual updates. $10 a box for losing the hassle of manual upgrades, scans etc is easily worth my T & E.

Status
Not open for further replies.