Sign in with
Your question

New build, would like SSD, HDD software set up advice

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2011 6:39:24 PM

I will be doing a new build soon with an ASRock Z68 PRO3 LGA 1155, an i5 2500K, 8 gigs GSkill RAM, my old PNY Quadro NVS 440 workstation type financial trading graphics card and my new Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD, a new Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB, my old Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB which only has about 50 gigs of programs and data on it, a new OEM copy of W 7HP 64 bit, and a 3 user version of MS 2010 Office (home and student)

The hardware I can do,...I've done it before, the software set up and data transfers I'm not so confident, capable or knowledgeable about installing and set up. Besides finding local help, do you Tom's experts have any suggestions about online guides or help?

The SSD will be mostly a boot drive I assume for the OS, my financial apps, Firefox and a few other programs, space permitting. The new WE Black drive will be for extra apps and data. I don't think the financial apps take up much space

I'm insecure and nervous about transferring old data and apps to the new WD Black without transferring a lot of clutter and junk that will slow the new build down.

Can the old WD 250 gig be used as a back up drive? I also have a Western Digital Elements 120GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDBAAR1200ABK-NESN which came with no disk or software which I'm not really too sure about how to use. I can use this as external backup if I can learn how to use it.

None of my drives have ever been crammed with apps or data. I guess I'm a simple guy. Not a lot of music, films or jpegs on there.

Where should I start to look for guides, help, assistance and wisdom?

Thanks all.
July 5, 2011 7:08:22 PM

Once you have loaded Win 7, MS Office, anti virus, firefox, your financial apps, you will definetely not have a lot of room left. Maybe 15-20 gigs depending how large your financial apps are.

As far as transferring data to the new hard drive, as long as it is just data and not programs it is a simple copy to the new drive. You can pick and choose which files to copy and that is about it. It should not slow anything down.

The old WD 250 gig HD can be used as a backup, but you will want something bigger. Depending on how you set your backup settings that 250 gig will fill up fast. I suggest going to a 1TB HD for a backup drive, that way you can have a system image and a data backup.

You should be able to go the to Western Digital website and find a manual and drivers for the 120GB external hard drive, but again not very big to be a backup drive. Would use it more for files that you want on the go.

I hope this will get you started.
m
l
July 5, 2011 8:14:17 PM

Should I post this in the storage or software sections in stead? Thanks.
m
l
July 5, 2011 8:18:01 PM

jwthomas1966 said:
Once you have loaded Win 7, MS Office, anti virus, firefox, your financial apps, you will definetely not have a lot of room left. Maybe 15-20 gigs depending how large your financial apps are.

As far as transferring data to the new hard drive, as long as it is just data and not programs it is a simple copy to the new drive. You can pick and choose which files to copy and that is about it. It should not slow anything down.

The old WD 250 gig HD can be used as a backup, but you will want something bigger. Depending on how you set your backup settings that 250 gig will fill up fast. I suggest going to a 1TB HD for a backup drive, that way you can have a system image and a data backup.

You should be able to go the to Western Digital website and find a manual and drivers for the 120GB external hard drive, but again not very big to be a backup drive. Would use it more for files that you want on the go.

I hope this will get you started.

Thanks JW. I've only got less that 50 gigs on the old WD 250.
m
l
!