Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Are the onboard graphics better than my seperate video card?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Nvidia
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 22, 2011 11:17:54 PM

I have an MSI 785GM-E65 mobo with 8gb of ram. Is the onboard graphics better than a seperate graphics card. The graphics card I have is Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI-E 1.0. The onboard stream processors are at 40 I believe. Is the Nvidia card more or less. How much ram does the onboard graphics take? Can I hybrid crossfire this Nvidia card? If not what should I use. The onboard graphics or the seperate video card. If the video card is better, is there a way I can use the onboard HDMI due to the fact the Nvidia card does not have an HDMI connection.Please Help. Thank you and God Bless

More about : onboard graphics seperate video card

a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 12:51:13 AM

Ok, let me help you :) .

When it says 512MB RAM, it means what is on the card itself. This is not a requirement of RAM/how much its taking away. The ATI 6950 1GB video card is better than the GeForce 8400 GS 512MB for example.

There is NO way to SLI/Crossfire a nVidia card and an ATI card. Even in Hybrid...

90% of the time, even a sucky 'separate' card is better than onboard.

You have to choose which card you want to use. If you really want HDMI, then I would go spend 50$ and upgrade the card to something with HDMI.

What are you going to be using this computer for? Gaming, surfing, video, ect?
Score
0
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 23, 2011 2:03:59 AM

Hybrid crossfire is only compatible with ati 2000 or 3000 series. You can change how much ram a igpu shares by an option in the bios. The nvidia is better and unless you need sound, dvi is just as good as hdmi.

Irrelevant to the topic but you can have sli/cf with amd/nvidia with hydralogix. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lucidlogix-hydralog...
Score
0
Related resources
April 23, 2011 2:15:08 AM

If you're doing anything other than websurfing, onboard graphics will never be better than a dedicated video card.
Score
0
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 23, 2011 4:01:03 AM

Klorance said:
If you're doing anything other than websurfing, onboard graphics will never be better than a dedicated video card.

This is true in most cases but definitely not all. It all depends on the card and the IGP.
To answer the OPs actual question I believe the 8400GS is very slightly faster than the HD4200.
Score
0
April 23, 2011 2:13:04 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
Ok, let me help you :) .

When it says 512MB RAM, it means what is on the card itself. This is not a requirement of RAM/how much its taking away. The ATI 6950 1GB video card is better than the GeForce 8400 GS 512MB for example.

There is NO way to SLI/Crossfire a nVidia card and an ATI card. Even in Hybrid...

90% of the time, even a sucky 'separate' card is better than onboard.

You have to choose which card you want to use. If you really want HDMI, then I would go spend 50$ and upgrade the card to something with HDMI.

What are you going to be using this computer for? Gaming, surfing, video, ect?


Thank you for your reply. I do know that the 512MB is from the video card itself. I was just wondering how much RAM the Ati HD 4200 onboard graphics uses out of my 8GB. I don't have two cards. I have one separate card (Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS with 512 MB of ram on the card. My onboard graphics includes HDMI and when I use the Nvidia card it disables the HDMI for my TV. I tried the S-video plug in on the Nvidia card and it did not show up on my TV. The HDMI on the onboard graphics works great. Is there a way to use the Nvidia card without disabling my HDMI onboard so my tv will work with my comp. If not how do I get the Nvidia card video output to work on my TV. I do believe the card is better than onboard so I would like to know how to get the cards output to work just as my HDMI does. I took the card out so I can use my TV and I don't notice any performance difference. I do use my comp for everything, surfing, TV, video, games, etc.
Score
0
April 23, 2011 2:18:35 PM

k1114 said:
Hybrid crossfire is only compatible with ati 2000 or 3000 series. You can change how much ram a igpu shares by an option in the bios. The nvidia is better and unless you need sound, dvi is just as good as hdmi.

Irrelevant to the topic but you can have sli/cf with amd/nvidia with hydralogix. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lucidlogix-hydralog...


Thank you for your reply. I tried the DVI with a converter to S-video and then converts to a normal monitor plug inon the back of my TV. The HDMI on the onboard graphics works great. Is there a way to use the Nvidia card without disabling my HDMI onboard so my tv will work with my comp. If not how do I get the Nvidia card video output to work on my TV. I do believe the card is better than onboard so I would like to know how to get the cards output to work just as my HDMI does. I took the card out so I can use my TV and I don't notice any performance difference. I do use my comp for everything, surfing, TV, video, games, etc. Will there be a difference with games, I have not tried yet.
Score
0
April 23, 2011 2:20:35 PM

k1114 said:
Hybrid crossfire is only compatible with ati 2000 or 3000 series. You can change how much ram a igpu shares by an option in the bios. The nvidia is better and unless you need sound, dvi is just as good as hdmi.

Irrelevant to the topic but you can have sli/cf with amd/nvidia with hydralogix. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lucidlogix-hydralog...


I forgot to ask. What exactly is this hydralogix. Is it a way to use both onboard and seperate video card. If not what does it do and what is it for. Please and thank you.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 2:22:22 PM

Tsn4help said:
Thank you for your reply. I do know that the 512MB is from the video card itself. I was just wondering how much RAM the Ati HD 4200 onboard graphics uses out of my 8GB. I don't have two cards. I have one separate card (Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS with 512 MB of ram on the card. My onboard graphics includes HDMI and when I use the Nvidia card it disables the HDMI for my TV. I tried the S-video plug in on the Nvidia card and it did not show up on my TV. The HDMI on the onboard graphics works great. Is there a way to use the Nvidia card without disabling my HDMI onboard so my tv will work with my comp. If not how do I get the Nvidia card video output to work on my TV. I do believe the card is better than onboard so I would like to know how to get the cards output to work just as my HDMI does. I took the card out so I can use my TV and I don't notice any performance difference. I do use my comp for everything, surfing, TV, video, games, etc.


The 8400GS is a very old card by todays standards and was a low level card at the time of release -- so the 4200 Onboard chip that your MOBO has is pretty much the same level of performance as the 8400GS and depending on what you are doing may perform slightly better or slightly worse (ie. as you mention the video playback is probably better on the onboard since many improvements have been made in video playback since the 8400 was made)
Score
0
April 23, 2011 2:26:13 PM

Klorance said:
If you're doing anything other than websurfing, onboard graphics will never be better than a dedicated video card.

I do know that the Nvidia card will be better but my problem is it won't work on my tv. I tried DVI to S-video to my TV and no luck. I had to take out the card to use my onboard HDMI. Can I use both onboard graphics and seperate video card so my HDMI will still work. Can I use the 512MB ram the card has to compliment my onboard graphics. Also how important is the stream processors. The onboard has 40 and I am not sure how much the seperate card has. If the onboard has more stream processing is the seperate card still better. Please and Thank you
Score
0
April 23, 2011 2:30:39 PM

jyjjy said:
This is true in most cases but definitely not all. It all depends on the card and the IGP.
To answer the OPs actual question I believe the 8400GS is very slightly faster than the HD4200.

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering how much RAM the Ati HD 4200 onboard graphics uses out of my 8GB. My onboard graphics includes HDMI and when I use the Nvidia card it disables the HDMI for my TV. I tried the S-video plug in on the Nvidia card and it did not show up on my TV. The HDMI on the onboard graphics works great. Is there a way to use the Nvidia card without disabling my HDMI onboard so my tv will work with my comp. If not how do I get the Nvidia card video output to work on my TV. I do believe the card is better than onboard so I would like to know how to get the cards output to work just as my HDMI does. I took the card out so I can use my TV and I don't notice any performance difference. I do use my comp for everything, surfing, TV, video, games, etc. I haven't tried games yet. Will there be a performance difference. If so how can I get the DVI to work. Will DVI work when converting to a red,green,blue, yellow HD wire.
Score
0
April 23, 2011 2:35:59 PM

JDFan said:
The 8400GS is a very old card by todays standards and was a low level card at the time of release -- so the 4200 Onboard chip that your MOBO has is pretty much the same level of performance as the 8400GS and depending on what you are doing may perform slightly better or slightly worse (ie. as you mention the video playback is probably better on the onboard since many improvements have been made in video playback since the 8400 was made)

So would I really be better off not using the card at all. What card should I get for hybrid crossfire with my mobo. Why does most everyone tell me the separate card is always better then onboard.
Score
0
April 23, 2011 2:47:49 PM

k1114 said:
Hybrid crossfire is only compatible with ati 2000 or 3000 series. You can change how much ram a igpu shares by an option in the bios. The nvidia is better and unless you need sound, dvi is just as good as hdmi.

Irrelevant to the topic but you can have sli/cf with amd/nvidia with hydralogix. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lucidlogix-hydralog...

When you say ou can change how much ram a igpu shares by an option in the bios. Do you mean that I can compliment my onboard graphics with the ram from the seperate video card. What does igpu stand for. Thanks for your help. How can I get hydralogix to work with my mobo. Do I have to buy something or is it a program. Please help.
Score
0
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 23, 2011 5:01:01 PM

I said hydralogix is irrelevant to the topic, it was more of a reply to gidgidon. And there is no need to repeat yourself 4 times.

IGPU is integrated graphics unit ie onboard graphics. There may be an option to enable both igpu and discrete in the bios. If not just use the onboard, there isn't much of a performance difference vs the card. Windows automatically allocates shared ram so there really is no need to change it, especially since you have 8gb.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 23, 2011 7:46:34 PM

An IGP is graphics built into the motherboard, like your HD4200. It stands for integrated graphics processor. Forget about hydralogics. It is built into only a few motherboards and not yours. You cannot add it.
Basically if you are not gaming then just take out the 8400GS and use the HD4200. The HD4200 uses system ram. You can set the amount in the motherboard's BIOS. For now you should just set it as high as possible(probably 512mb) as I really doubt you ever even come close to using all 8gb of ram.
If you are gaming then you would be MUCH better off getting a new video card as both the HD4200 and 8400GS are pretty terrible for gaming. Even a cheap $50-75 card will be many times more powerful than what you have now. If you would like to buy a better card then tell us more about your system like the CPU, power supply and what resolution you will be using along with how much you are willing to spend.
Share
April 25, 2011 3:54:36 AM

k1114 said:
I said hydralogix is irrelevant to the topic, it was more of a reply to gidgidon. And there is no need to repeat yourself 4 times.

IGPU is integrated graphics unit ie onboard graphics. There may be an option to enable both igpu and discrete in the bios. If not just use the onboard, there isn't much of a performance difference vs the card. Windows automatically allocates shared ram so there really is no need to change it, especially since you have 8gb.

Thanks for the help. sorry I repeated myself. I thought i had to reply to each person seperatly. Take care.
Score
0
April 25, 2011 4:03:26 AM

jyjjy said:
An IGP is graphics built into the motherboard, like your HD4200. It stands for integrated graphics processor. Forget about hydralogics. It is built into only a few motherboards and not yours. You cannot add it.
Basically if you are not gaming then just take out the 8400GS and use the HD4200. The HD4200 uses system ram. You can set the amount in the motherboard's BIOS. For now you should just set it as high as possible(probably 512mb) as I really doubt you ever even come close to using all 8gb of ram.
If you are gaming then you would be MUCH better off getting a new video card as both the HD4200 and 8400GS are pretty terrible for gaming. Even a cheap $50-75 card will be many times more powerful than what you have now. If you would like to buy a better card then tell us more about your system like the CPU, power supply and what resolution you will be using along with how much you are willing to spend.

Here is my mobo.MSI 785GM-E65 8GB Ram
Processor AMD Phenom II, Athlon Processors with AM3 socket. 6 processors total. 4 Dimms support for DDr3-1600(OC)/1333/
1066 MHz up to 16GB max. Power supply Max 480 watts. Willing to spend $50 to $100 and I would spend more if it would really be worth it. What is the best I can get for $50 to $100 and what is the best overall. What would be the difference? Is or are they hybrid crossfire compatible. Thank you and God Bless. Happy Easter
Score
0
April 25, 2011 4:03:54 AM

Best answer selected by Tsn4help.
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
a c 173 Î Nvidia
April 25, 2011 4:55:11 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!