Sign in with
Your question

First Build $1100

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2011 7:09:45 PM

I am still really confused on parts that I should have to my first gaming rig.
Build: Only the pc itself, no monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

I want the build to have an intel core i5 2500k.
I am still confused with what gpu to take. I think I will go with a gtx 570. I do not know if it will fit in my budget range ($1000- $1100)
I need an SLI or Crossfire ready motherboard, I will be getting another gpu in the future. (1 year)
Memory: I think I should go with 8gb of memory just to know that I have it just in case I will need it soon (probably will)
A good hard drive. I think 1tb is ample space.
I have no clue on what case, or optical drive.
If the case needs extra case fans so be it, I am not really looking for liquid cooling.
I will be overclocking in the future.

One noob question. Do I need to buy a windows platform? Does a computer need a platform like windows? Or does it come preinstalled? Yes I am sorry for my noob questions. I just need to know everything.

Please help my find a strong build guys. I am 16 and I have been saving up every dollar for half a year. Lots of work. Hopefully it all pays off.

Note: I had the same thread going, but I deleted it because I did not make it a discussion, and I did not know how to change the setting.

More about : build 1100

July 5, 2011 7:24:53 PM

Hi there John, welcome to the forums.

The first thing is I think you are posting in the wrong section. It sounds like you want to build yourself, correct? If so, you should either contact a mod to move it to the New Build Section or start a new one. I would say stay here, but there's more active members on that section than this one.

But, on to the computer! Yes you will need an Operating System (windows), those cost about $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... unless you are a student (with a .edu email) then it costs $30.

For $1000(you need $100 for OS), you can get a lovely build. Here's a thread all about $1000 builds: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312822-31-bestconfigs... Lots of really great builds, there are some pretty epic builds for $1k in there.

I hope this helps you out!
July 5, 2011 7:34:18 PM

Hi, if youre building a PC you will need a buy a copy of Windows so that would bring your budget down to ~$1000. I think you can still manage the build you want on that budget. I just added this up on Newegg and it came just under $1000 (before $50 of rebates and a $15 promo code.):

i5 2500k - $219.99
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz - $69.99
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 - $124.99
PNY GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB - $319.99
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $64.99
XFX Core Edition PRO850W - $119.99
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 - $59.99
DVD Burner - ~$20
Windows 7 - $99.99

Total - $1099.92 (Before rebates and promo code @ $65 total)

That build would destroy any game at practically any resolution for the next few years at least and is very upgradable and ready for overclocking although it is recommended to buy a decent cooler first. (You should be able to get +500Mhz without.)
Related resources
July 5, 2011 8:00:40 PM

I am sorry for putting this thread in the wrong place.
Thanks for the link to the thread. The builds do look solid.
And jmsellars1, your provided build looks fantastic. Thank you for everything.
Just a couple of questions.
is the gtx 570 better than the 6970?
July 5, 2011 8:09:25 PM

No no, it's fine to have it here. I'm simply saying you might get more help!

And the GTX 570 and 6970 are even. They trade blows on almost every game. For your budget though, I would go 2x6870's (crossfire'd) or 2xGTX 560 Ti (SLI'd).
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/301?vs=292 As you can see, the 6870's slaughter the 6970. And with Overclocked 560 Ti's, it would not even be a fair fight.

Personally, I would get a single 6950 (Plenty for a single monitor) and scrape up some extra cash later and buy a second. What's your monitor res?
July 5, 2011 8:57:39 PM

All honest here, I am afraid of building it all by myself, and the electronics store near says they can build it for me for 150-200 dollars. i think that is just insane.
So, many of my friends recommended Cyberpowerpc for me, I have seen there cyberpowerpc's and they work just fine.
They just tell me to stay away from liquid cooling if I can, but I do not know if I should listen to them.
And, on the website, it looks like I wil have to go with a 6950 for now, and buy another one later.
Should I use cyberpower or not? Is it worth spending 150 to 200 to gt it assembled? Or is there a good company that assembles your parts, but cheaper and trusted?
July 5, 2011 9:00:20 PM

None of the above! Cyberpower builds unbalanced PC's, one's that aren't well suited for a man on a budget. Spending $150 to have it built is a little crazy too.

My suggestion? Do it yourself! It's really easy! If you don't believe me, here's a video (long, I know. But bookmark it) Detailing the ENTIRE build process! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

It's something that's very rewarding, and despite what people say it's pretty hard to mess it up.
July 5, 2011 9:33:02 PM

My God, why am I so scared? Maybe it is because if I messed up my parents would kill me (I am only 16). Seriously there are no companies that you know of that can assemble your parts for you?
I will still watch the video, and maybe after I am done watching it, I will have the courage to build it by myself.
July 6, 2011 1:50:32 AM

Yeah don't worry i'm sure you will be able to build it yourself if you just read some guides and are careful. There aren't that many places to go wrong. Just be careful for static (get an anti static band), make sure everything is screwed/clipped in properly and plug everything in the right place (usually either clearly labelled or is the only slot the cable will fit in.) Other than that it's just obvious things like be careful with delicate CPU chips and things.

Like i said, just read a guide and watch some videos about it and you can do it.

EDIT: Just to add, it is very rewarding too :) 
July 6, 2011 2:16:54 AM

Yes I heard it is very rewarding. I would be rather satisfied if I built a computer all by myself. My parents would be blown away! haha.
jmsellars1 do you think that the build you showed is a strong build for my budget? Or can it get even better? Just trying to be 100% sure.
July 6, 2011 2:39:13 AM

That is the best possible build i can think of for your needs because upgradability seemed like a high priority. If you dropped the PSU down to a 750W and went straight for 2 GPU's such as GTX 560Ti, GTX 460 1GB, HD 6850 or HD 6870 you would get much better performance now but it wouldn't be as easily upgradable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 of those would destroy a single GTX 570. It would be more expensive but GTX 560's consume less power than GTX 570's so you could afford to reduce the PSU to a 750W model such as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want GTX 560 SLI and it is still too expensive you could either get a cheaper hard drive/case or go for the cheaper GTX 460's (not the SE model) or HD 6850's which will both still outperform a single GTX 570.

(Both setups are still probably going to max any game at 1920x1200 at a more than playable FPS for at least a couple of years i would imagine.)
July 6, 2011 2:49:54 AM

I think it would be best to stay with one gtx 570 for right now. Once I get the money, I would by another one. How much does the gtx 570 evga superclocked cost? And is it worth buying? Or should I just stick with the one you suggested
July 6, 2011 4:36:36 AM

If you want to run 2 cards, I would get a 6950. Why? They end up performing as well as the 570's in dual card configurations and cost much less. It would cost around $500 for 2 6950's, vs the $660 it would cost for 2 570's. It's up to you though.
July 6, 2011 1:17:13 PM

Yes i agree about sticking to one GTX 570 (or HD 6950) because you wont even notice the performance difference for a while* and by then you will have 2 cards. Evga are always highly recommended for nVidia cards. Sometimes quite expensive though.

*EDIT: Just to make it clear, you wont notice the difference because neither should lag on any game at practically any resolution. Not because theres a small gap in performance.
July 6, 2011 3:20:17 PM

So should I get one 6950 or one gtx 570(maybe evga superclocked). Either way, I will buy a second gpu in the future.
All in all, do games perform better with nVidia or amd cards?
July 6, 2011 4:32:02 PM

It really depends on the game. They are about even.
July 6, 2011 5:07:26 PM

Thanks. Do I also need a sound card?
July 6, 2011 5:16:45 PM

Nope! The mobo has it built in.
July 6, 2011 5:27:06 PM

alright great thanks
July 6, 2011 5:28:50 PM

I probably have a lot more questions but I can't get them right away. I will post here once I have more questions, alright?
!