RAM compatibility issues with my motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

druxzul

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Ok so I'm trying to get more RAM for my computer that i build like a year or two ago.
I went to the manufacture's website for the RAM that i already have, i clicked on RAM module compatibility and searched for my mother board/ The results came up but no where did it list the current RAM model that i have under the compatibility. What I'm wondering is whether or not i should get rid of the current RAM that i have and upgrade it all together or am i fine with the current RAM and should i use the same manufacturer to get more RAM?

The RAM that i have currently : ADATA DDR3-2000x (AX3U2000XB2G9-EF)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211423

The RAM module compatibility searcher from the manufacturer:
http://www.adata-group.com/index.php?action=product&cid=6&lan=us&cid1=5

My motherboard: ASUS P7H55-M Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131623

Solution
Obviously you are up to speed with the fact that everything should match. That is good.

The old RAM isn't listed for your current board, as you mentioned, but that could just mean that nobody took the time to test it in that specific board.

Obviously it is working now, so it must be compatible. To that end adding more of the same should be perfectly fine.

All I can see that would cause the motherboard to reject more of the same would be if there was some cap on how much RAM at a given speed it can handle.

If you can look it up online that anybody got some higher figure like 8 GBs of 2000 RAM to work on the same board, then its probably fine if you just get more of the same.

In all likelihood there will be no problems if you get...
Obviously you are up to speed with the fact that everything should match. That is good.

The old RAM isn't listed for your current board, as you mentioned, but that could just mean that nobody took the time to test it in that specific board.

Obviously it is working now, so it must be compatible. To that end adding more of the same should be perfectly fine.

All I can see that would cause the motherboard to reject more of the same would be if there was some cap on how much RAM at a given speed it can handle.

If you can look it up online that anybody got some higher figure like 8 GBs of 2000 RAM to work on the same board, then its probably fine if you just get more of the same.

In all likelihood there will be no problems if you get more of the same. The likelihood of the above being a problem is pretty slim.

The likelihood of receiving DOA sticks is higher than the likelihood of configuration problems I think.

Solution

druxzul

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Thanks for the reply Raiddinn,
Quick question, are you saying that I should try and get RAM that has a speed of DDR3 2000?

That sounded like what you already have. Is that not the case?

The best would be to get more of the exact same thing, but if that isn't possible then something that has the same speed and timings of the old RAM definitely.

That would mean if you do already have 2000, then yes you will need more of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.