AMD Overdrive CPU Temp Readings

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've noticed that my stock Phenom II X4 980 w/Zalman CNPS5X HSF has rather high idle temps according to AMD Overdrive's reporting. 41.5C But when I check the temp reported in BIOS (also at idle obviously), it's only 32C. So, I decided to run Core Temp, and it reads only 30C at idle. Can AMD Overdrive's temp reporting be that far off? I don't know what to believe.
I haven't tried to get temps under load yet because I just changed the thermal compound from the Zalman stuff back to the Arctic 5 Silver I've always used in the past*. I want to wait till the break-in time is over before I do a Prime95 run.

* I used Arctic Cleaner and Purifier, then tinned the surfaces with the Arctic 5 Silver first as per the instructions.

Boldor is right. AMD Overdrive seems to be reporting wrong. Also the "break-in" time for AS5 is quite long. Normally it can take up to a year for it to do its best. I have only seen one take a short amount of time but its hard to find, IC Diamond TIM.

But stick with Core Temp. Its much more accurate.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I would tend to agree with the assumption that Overdrive is totally wrong. Yes, I'm going to stick with CoreTemp. I just wish AMD processors had individual core sensors like Intel instead of a single temp sensor for the CPU package. And as far as the break-in period, Arctic reports 200 hours of heat and cool cycles... less if one tins the surfaces first. So, yes, a year would be about right. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS