Weird Cyclone Power AMD 6850 Layout?

Mervyn1389

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I recently bought a AMD 6850 (MSI OCED VERSION)
And The ''Msi word'' Is upside down causing the fan to blow towards the power supply,i thought it was supposed to blow downwards instead of the power supply?Look at the photo,i installed wrongly or its just the way of MSI design?
8wi3w1.jpg

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

That's... that's kind of weird.

There is literally only one way to install a GPU -- to do it 'backwards', you would have to tape the side with the power connectors to the mobo.

And that probably wouldn't work out so good.

That said... I'm not sure what you mean by blowing 'towards the power supply'. The fan on 'top' of the card (should be facing downward) is an intake fan. The "MSI" port is an exhaust. It vents out the rear of the case.

EDIT: Is this a reference design, or one with a modified cooler?

The issue isnt with the card, its that your case has everything flip flopped. The expansion slots being above the IO panel tells me that your case has the motherboard on the left hand side when looking from the front which means that everything seems upside down. The fan on the GPU is always an intake into the GPU that exhausts out the back and sides of the card so its not blowing heat into the PSU.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

You know, I was wondering about that, but.... really? His case is upside-down?

Wait... oh, yeah, it IS. He just has a top-mounted PSU. That's why the mobo's I/O panel is 'below' the GPU's... because it's upside down.

NOOOOWWWW I see it.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Envision a computer case on your desk, next to you at your right hand. The front, with ROM Drives, power button, all that jazz, is facing you.

Most ATX cases have the nearest panel to you open-able, and the motherboard is installed on the 'back wall' of the case. Accordingly, the I/O panel is usually at the top corner on the farthest side from you (if you were to turn the case around on the desk without flipping it over, you would see it at the top-left of the back panel).

If you need help visualizing, this pic may help. It should also seem incredibly familiar. Now, I'm not saying I'm an expert on manufactured computers, but I'm pretty sure HP just has a backasswards layout going on. With the exception of the PSU exhaust being next to my mobo I/O panel (I have a bottom-mounted PSU, but most small cases have a top-mounted PSU in that position), that's what the back of my computer looks like. When it's upright. And, unless I am very much mistaken, most everyone has the same thing.

THAT is why the "MSI" logo is upside-down, it's because the case is backwards. But you mentioning that it's HP helps explain it a bit, OEMs come up with some wacky things sometimes.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Oh, I see now.

Your PSU is bottom-mounted. That was just a case fan that I saw, not a top-mounted PSU.

You should just unplug and flip over your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive, because so far as I'm concerned, you've got your computer case upside-down, there (I know, that's how HP sold it, but that's just a stupid layout on their part). Everything looks normal except for the last shot, where what should be up is down.

You should be taking advantage of the fact that heat rises, the fan behind the CPU (bottom right of your last pic) should be the 'final' exhaust point in the computer. Most cases have a general airflow from the bottom of the front to the top of the back.

Your PSU is actually in a little metal enclosure, and is for all intents and purposes "independent" from your overall case flow. That said, heat rises, so that's why the intake fan (the big fan on the graphics card) should face downwards to help enhance the flow of heat out of the case, since it's pulling cooler air from below and running it through the circuitry to cool it down.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

I'm afraid you're not following.... what you consider to be the bottom of your case is actually the top in most standard case layouts. The way you would "make the cyclone look down" is to stand your case the right way. Unless the 'top' of your case isn't flat, in which case I suppose putting it "upside down" would be an issue.

But the point is this: A normal ATX case has the PSU at the bottom, with PCI-e devices' circuit boards facing up and the CPU above them. There is no way for you to flip the card without flipping the whole case -- even the motherboard can't be "flipped over".

And as I have repeatedly said, you should "put your case on its top", by which I mean "ignore HP's stupid design and set it like 90% of other peoples' computers."

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

More like bottom to top.

I didn't say that HP wasn't known for it (indeed, I acknowledged that the fact it was HP explained the design), I'm just saying that it sort of ignores all conventions of good airflow.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

If you look at your third picture, you have holes in the side of the case at what would be the bottom. As a passive intake, that would be fine.

I mean, the fan behind your CPU is even installed as an exhausting fan, so just what HP was thinking I'll never know...

Timop

Distinguished

That not BTX, BTX has the slots on the bottom and CPU in top.
What he has is a generic ATX case with a bottom mount PSU flipped upside-down.

if nothing is overheating then don't worry about it. The only problem you may face is because the hot air expelled from the gpu goes mostly into your case it will heat everything up. Is there room for another exhaust fan? if so, install one or buy a whole new case. But as i said, if nothing is overheating, don't worry about it.

Well I can see how someone can jump to a conclusion that it is a BTX but yes this is one of those proprietary case designs nothing more. I have my doubts that a aftermarket will improve things due to the arrangement but I suggest that you return the card and get an reference design that is external exhaust. Yes they make more noise but noise is harmless unless the fan sounds like a rock tumbler (rock polishing machine) The reference design has an added benefit of the hot air being exhausted out the case while having a minor cooling affect for the whole system.