Cable confusion

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I am in the process of my first homebuild and have a question about fan control. I have a corsair 1000w psu which comes with an array of cables, an Antec twelve hundred case and a fatal1ty p67 mobo.
The case has 3 fans in the front with seperate controls for speed and 2 at the back for drawing the air out with 3 settings, 2 of the cables i have are 4 pin molex with a small thin 4 pin connector at the end of this cable, would the small thin cable go into the mobo under cha_fan1 (it fits) and would this be for the mobo controlling the fan speed depending on heat? and would this be needed if the fans have there own settings?

In short do i just connect the fans to the psu?

Thx for reading and any suggestions.....

ram1009

Distinguished
There's nothing wrong with connecting fans directly to the PSU provided you don't mind them running full at all times. Generally speaking if a connector fits it's OK. OEMs have done a pretty good job of foolproofing cables. BTW, congrads on buying an over-sized PSU. You won't be sorry. Count yourself as one of the few able to see past your nose.

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Thx for reply, so if i plug this connection into the cha_fan1 port will the mobo take control of the fans and i leave the manual controls alone?

Unsure about the seeing past the end of my nose!! is having an over sized psu a good thing?

It allows you more room to overclock, add cards and 'futureproof' your system,
yes if you plug a fan into a mobo plug, cpufan1, cha fan 2 etc, the mobo controls the speed, if its hooked up to a fan controller unit, you decide, and if its straight to the psu, its on 100%, no control options other than wiring in resistors to the line
you can override the mobo's control with programs like speedfan, but I wouldn't worry about it
Moto

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

thx for that, one last question, is the cable i mention above the correct one to power the fans and connect up to the mobo then? guessing it is as nothing else will fit into the cha_fan port...

yes, if your fan has the 3/4pin connector on it, as well or instead of the molex one, you can choose to power it from the mobo, or from the molex, only one, either or, dont plug both the the molex plug AND the 4pin one in ok? :)
Moto

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
ok thx, i only have molex coming of the fans, the 4pin one is on a cable that came with the psu so i am just going to connect via the molex straight to the psu, will adjust fan speed via the manual control.
How would i connect all 6 fans to the mobo? considering they all have molex connections....ty

You are limited to however many sockets you have on the mobo, mine has two for cpu fans and three cha fan ones and as Im watercooling I dont need the cpu ones for a heatsink, so I could have five mobo controlled fans,
If your connectors are all molex, your going to have to chain then to the psu, pr get adaptors,maybe a drivebay fan controller is more what you need?
Moto

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Found a connection through another post, ordered some so hopefully good to go, just the daunting task of attempting to o/c for the first time after the new gpu arrives..thx for your help..