Sign in with
Your question

Choosing a board

Last response: in Motherboards
June 24, 2012 5:11:34 AM

Hey guys, still working on my first build.

My original plan for the build was to use the upcoming ASUS Maximus V Formula board located here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...

Now, I know the information has been released, and the board will be hitting the shelves soon, but I'm thinking about switching to the P8Z77-V Deluxe board here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

I will be using the Intel Core i7-3770K, a 16GB Kit of Quad Channel Corsair Vengeance RAM, and a liquid cooling system. I know the Maximus V Formula has been optimized for both water and air cooling, whereas if you take a look at the P8Z77-V Deluxe, it looks like the board has totally been vamped for air cooling systems. I would like to stick with the liquid cooling system, as I believe it is much more efficient, and they are much more quiet. I have not picked out a case, or PSU, and I'll be using an ob-board GPU for the time being.

That being said, I really need some opinions from you guys, and in the next sentence I'll tell you what exactly I'm looking to do with my build:
I like to use my computer as a multi-functionality unit, as many others do. I run a small business on the side, repairing, upgrading, but mostly troubleshooting software. I also use my computers for a lot of data transfer, which means that I need ports that will be quick - and plenty of them. I do not do any hardcore gaming or video editing, as you could probably tell by the lack of an external GPU. I do, however, use my computer to run dozens of programs at once, and I use it for a lot of encoding and decoding. I know that one of the Maximus V's advantages is its SupremeFX IV on-board soundcard - but it's not what I'm looking for, I have a nice stereo system hooked up and ready to go for my music.

This ALL taken into account, in a nutshell I am looking for speed, and performance, not sound and graphics. However, I don't know if the P8Z77-V Deluxe is all too optimized for water cooling. Also, the Maximus is priced much higher than the P8Z77-V, and I think it's because of the added overkill soundcard and dual water-air cooling optimization.

I would be extremely grateful if some people could reply with the results they've had with their P8Z77-V Deluxe boards (both pro's and con's). And if there are any hanging results on the Maximus V Formula (pro's and con's as well) even thought the board is still in it's preliminary phase, it would still help to get pre-release results.

Also, it would be a BIG help if someone could explain how to re-vamp the P8Z77-V Deluxe over to a water-cooling system, as that is one of the major factors stumping me and holding me from making a choice right now.

As always, thanks
Matt

More about : choosing board

June 24, 2012 6:29:31 PM

The P8Z77-V Deluxe is actually out already, it's the Maximus V we're all waiting on for a release. Thanks for the info on the P8Z77-V though!
m
l
!